31. Engagement party

Gumball: I adjusted my shirt. My hair was combed to it's usual perfect state, all that was left to do was make sure Marshall was ready..... so why am I stalling? Why can't I just go talk to him. . . I sigh & sit back on the bed. "I have to forgive him..." I hold back the tears that threaten to flow again, and manage to pull myself together just as someone taps on my bedroom door. "Enter"...

Pepper: "are you ready my sweet?" He's sitting on his bed, hair neatly done & clothes perfectly tidy. Such a handsome young man...as he turns to face me, I notice the hurt in his eyes. "Barnaby what's happened?" I sit beside him & he starts explaining things....

Gumball: "Marshall's drinking has gotten out of hand lately... and he went out to a party last night after I went to sleep.... he got drunk & slept with Fionna. He cheated on me... with my best friend!" I hold back the tears again as pepp tries to comfort me.

Pepp: "oh sweety. This... I mean... what about tonight's announcements? The engagement party? .... is it all off?"

Gumball: "no, it's still going ahead... I've given him another chance, on the conditions he quit drinking & cut contact with Fionna. It's the only way we can make this work... and it has to work. For the baby.... and for us" I place a hand on my stomach, largely visible behind my pale pink shirt. "I have a scan tomorrow. We'll be able to determine the gender of the baby... I hope it's a boy. Marshall really wants a son....

Pepp: "sweetheart.... you know you don't need him. Not really. But, I do understand... Love is a painful thing, but no matter how much it hurts... you won't give up" I smile at him. "Go check on your man, and try to cheer up. Tonight you'll announce your engagement, and the pregnancy. It's meant to be special... for both of you"

Gumball: "thanks Pepp.... I don't know how I'd get through anything without you" I hug her, and smile. "I'm going to check on Marshall." She stands, and leads me out towards Marshall's dressing room, where he's getting ready. "Thanks pepp.... we just need a few moments alone" she smiles, half - curtzies & walks away, her heels clicking on the polished floors. I knock on Marshall's door, and wait for his reply.

Marshall: I fix my stupid tie, and open the door. "Gummy..." he cuts me off with a hug. "What was that for?" I cant help but smile.... after this mornings argument.. I wasnt sure if he would still go through with this.

Gumball: "just because...I love you" He smiles as I step back, looking him up & down. He looks simply stunning in his black tux, the red tie & white shirt standing out. His hair is slicked back, neat & tidy.

Marshall: "I love you too bubs" I'm glad he's come round. "You look great" light pink shirt, button up but still loose enough to fit over the obvious baby bump, white pants & a pair of light mauve shoes.

Gumball: "Thanks, you look perfect too...." I smile at him, and his eyes seem to soften. "you ready Marshmallow?"

Marshall: "yes, now let's do this" I kiss him & take his hand.

Gumball: "okay" I smile at him & we walk hand in hand out to the balcony to greet my people. As we step out into view, the gathered crowd fall silent, waiting for our announcement. "Thankyou everyone for attending tonight. As you all know, the last time we gathered here was to announce my relationship with Marshall lee." I pause, and a few people nod their heads in agreement, some whisper among themselves wondering what I have to say. I take a breath & Marshall gives my hand a light squeeze to encourage me. "Well, tonight we would like to announce our engagement.... and the expected arrival of our first child" I place a hand instinctively on my stomach as most of the crowd cheer, while some look shocked & others look puzzled. "For those of you who are wondering how we have managed to start a family, the explanation is simple. you all know how my mother created me in her lab. Well, during that process, I was created as a male on the outside... but within me I do contain the reproductive organs of both male & female... which has allowed us to conceive a child of our own. I am 20 weeks pregnant as of tomorrow. The gender is currently unknown, but the next ultrasound will reveal to us the gender of our child. And when we are ready... you will all know too"