Chapter 24: The Funeral

The academy buildings stood as silent witnesses to the ongoing battle, their imposing structures shrouded in the soft darkness of early morning. With a resounding "thud," the entrance burst open, villagers flooding in with urgency and determination, their torchlight piercing through the shadows like beacons of hope in the darkness.

With a resounding "thud," a forceful impact echoed from the doorway as villagers exerted considerable effort to force open the classroom door.

The moment the door opened, the torchlight spread out like bright rays from the sky, lighting up the damaged classroom. The light cut through the moving dust, as if announcing the start of a new life after the disaster.

"There are survivors here! Come, help!"

A known voice came from the classroom door, where the headmaster stood up again, leaning on a wooden stick, leading villagers to look for survivors room by room. The headmaster's shadow looked strong and powerful in the shaky torchlight, like a guide leading people to a new life from the ruins.

The girl who survived looked excitedly at the door, sitting weakly on the ground. Tears ran freely from her eyes, but in this moment, they were filled with the start of hope. The headmaster's call brought a bit of hope, and in the dim light of the torches, she felt as if she had gone through a disaster but now finally experienced a surprising new life.

"We have a survivor here!" Cheers of the villagers reverberated in the dilapidated classroom, conveying an incredible joy.

"Hurry, save A-Lai!" the girl pleaded, her voice tinged with urgency and concern, as if time had become incredibly precious in this moment. Her cries filled the air with a tense atmosphere, each moment appearing crucial.

"Where is A-Lai?" the villagers anxiously inquired, their figures shimmering in the torchlight as they rushed.

The girl turned around, stunned. In the blink of an eye, the place where A-Lai had been was now empty, with only dried and clotted blood left.

The girl wiped her eyes, deeply doubting whether she had experienced a hallucination. Her fingers touched the sticky blood, seemingly still carrying the warmth of the young boy.

This couldn't possibly be a dream!

The villagers looked at the girl with suspicion, silently standing there, listening to her narrate the story that unfolded.

In the forest, Gongsun Elder also turned and ran towards the academy, close on the young monk's heels. He understood that if the woman in red escaped, she would become a significant threat. His steps were hurried, his eyes filled with anxiety.

By the time they reached the academy, everything was over. The young monk stood silently beside the massive centipede, its grotesque body still twitching slightly, emitting an unsettling aura.

The young monk's expression was grave. Upon seeing Gongsun Elder, he cautiously stepped back. Gongsun Elder approached, fixing his gaze on the young monk and asking, "Where is the woman in red?"

The young monk did not answer, only glanced around, his worried expression giving Gongsun Elder an ominous feeling. He realized that things were far from over, and the whereabouts of the woman in red remained unknown.

Gongsun Elder felt a headache coming on and frowned as he surveyed the surroundings, suddenly aware of the gravity of the situation. He approached the young monk, asking directly, "What about A Lai? Where is he?"

The headmaster was silent for a moment, then finally spoke, "A Lai is missing."

Gongsun Elder was shocked and anxious. He had come to the academy expecting to find A Lai, not to find things in such a dire state. His expression darkened, his brows knitted.