Chapter 7: Beasts Unleashed

From the dark, the giant wolf shook his dark mane restlessly, puzzled by the sudden surge of emotions tonight, unable to rein himself in. His nostrils flared in the night breeze as he locked his gaze onto his target.

In the midst of the lively gathering, Dizzy Dan, the fourth brother in the family, turned to one of the women and asked,

"Sis, where's my older brother? Why hasn't he shown up yet?"

"He and the second brother slipped away early; my guess is they're hiding somewhere, swiping a secret sip or two!"

A mischievous glint sparkled in Dizzy Dan's eyes."Well, count me in to help catch them!"

The eldest sister-in-law, a bit skeptical, raised an eyebrow."Afraid you'll miss out on the spirits if you're too slow?"

Dizzy Dan, feeling a tad awkward, slowed his pace."Of course not," he mumbled, then quickly walked away.

The villagers were all huddled around the fire, gossiping intently when suddenly, a burst of applause and cheers broke through their chatter, drawing every eye to the center of the bonfire.

The principal and the students formed a tight circle, as if constructing a small stage in the silence of the night. The only one catching the girl's gaze was the young boy at the center of the circle, standing on the edge of the flickering firelight, his figure swaying in the faint glow as if dancing.

The short spear in the young man's hand transformed into a swirling blaze, morphing from one into three, then nine, resembling a mesmerizing flame flower.

"Marvelous!" the crowd yelled, excitement palpable in the air. The boys' eyes filled with admiration.

But in her eyes, the young man was performing a dreamy show meant only for her. He was like a mystical magician, adorning the quiet night with a splendid tapestry, leaving her mesmerized and yearning for the enchanting world he painted.

A student noticed something strange and asked,"Did you hear a high-pitched scream from the woods nearby?"

"No, please don't interrupt me while I'm watching him, oh, the show," her friend replied, completely absorbed in the captivating act of the boy. As another round of applause rose, the girl clapped without noticing her hands turning red.

As her hero finally steadied his spear and stood firm, his composure was as unyielding as a mountain, earning involuntary admiration from all.

The headmaster led the applause, and the children's eyes were glued to the boy, sparkling with envy and respect. Their gazes were filled with dreams for the future, as if they saw their own aspirations reflected in him.

When everything turned quiet, a bone-chilling scream echoed through the nearby woods, fracturing the once joyous atmosphere into pieces.

As the crowd began to disperse, a villager came running over, his face and head covered in blood.

He cried out,"Headmaster! Help! Beasts, like wolves, are coming!"

A sense of unease began to ripple through the crowd as they peered suspiciously into the surrounding darkness.

"What's going on?" one villager whispered to another, eyes darting nervously.

"I don't know, but something doesn't feel right," the other replied, glancing around.

The headmaster quickly approached an exhausted villager whose body was caked in dirt.

"What happened?"

"It's... it's terrible," the villager panted, struggling to catch his breath."Something's out there."

"Calm down," the headmaster said, embracing him reassuringly."Tell me everything."

The villager nodded, eyes wide with fear."I saw a villager was pulled into the bushes by giant wolves. There was so much blood on the road!"

Before he could finish his words, everyone noticed red eyes appearing at the edge of the dark forest, glowing like ghostly lights and growing in number.

"Don't panic, they're probably just wild wolves," the headmaster announced, his voice steady with the confidence of someone well-versed in wilderness survival.

"Everyone, retreat slowly to the bonfire!" he instructed, as the villagers trusted his experienced guidance. Like a pack of wolves descending in winter, it was not uncommon to see a few hungry ones prowling around during early spring.

In this tense atmosphere, everyone slowly backed towards the fire, and the principal hurried to close the gate of the schoolyard fence. The fence, taller than half a person, provided some security. Behind the fence, the headmaster stood firm, torch in hand, his eyes fixed intently on the unknown darkness.

People gathered far behind him, tears streaming down the faces of kids already coming out, their mothers panic-stricken as they hugged or carried them into the building.

"No need for over-reaction, there are so many people here, the beasts fear us!" a villager shouted, trying to reassure the crowd.

"With so many wolves, they must be from the pack in the mountains that killed several cows last winter," someone whispered, their voice tinged with fear.

The unease grew palpable as more voices chimed in."Headmaster, should we evacuate?" suggested one.

"Mr. Zhang, can I go and check?" A-Lai asked, holding his spear, stepping up to the principal.

"No, you're too young. We stay back," the principal shook his head firmly, not wanting any of his students in danger.

"Okay, then I'll guard the fence!" A-Lai's courage spread to Dizzy Dan, and this strong young man stepped closer to him, ready to stand firm against whatever lurked beyond the darkness.

The principal didn't waste a moment. As he noticed more red eyes approaching in the darkness, he quickly gave his orders to the people behind him.

"Hurry, everyone, quickly take cover inside the building!" he commanded, his voice urgent with concern.

The physics teacher sprang into action, swiftly opening both school doors and ushering villagers and students inside with determination and resolve.

But amidst the chaos of people crowding at the doors, a worried man rushed out, his forehead glistening with sweat and his face pale with fear.

"Relax, everyone! It's not that serious!" he shouted, trying to calm the frantic crowd. "We haven't seen any wild animals here in years!"

As the speed of people entering the building slowed, he raised his voice even louder, seemingly trying to convince himself as much as the others.

"My wife and child are on the way here, and I need to fetch them," he added, his voice pleading. "Anyone willing to come with me to check?"

The villagers exchanged uncertain glances, unsure if it was a wise decision to venture outside.

"Hey, buddy, it's too dangerous to go outside. Come with us, they might be here soon!" one villager urged, attempting to reason with him.

But the man seemed to have lost control, his voice breaking into sobs as he cried out for help. Still, he found no one willing to accompany him. The principal noticed his distress and moved closer, trying to calm him down.

However, the man's desperation reached a breaking point, and he made a dash for the fence, ignoring the pleas of those around him.

"A-Lai, stop him!" the principal shouted, but it was too late.

With a burst of adrenaline, the man ran faster than he ever had before, leaping over the fence in a desperate bid to reach his family.

"Come back!" Dizzy Dan cried out behind him, but his words were drowned out by the sound of several big shadows rushing out and engulfing the villager.

The man's cries for help were abruptly silenced by the approaching animals. The villagers watched in shock as he was quickly ripped apart.