Chapter 22: The Warmth of Brewed Tea

In a meditation chamber within the same monastery, a monk hurried over to the abbot, whispering softly. The abbot's eyes widened in surprise. "Does the master know?"

"The master and all senior masters are already aware." Upon hearing this, the abbot quickly left the room, all his usual calm demeanor gone.

Molin had a sip of tea to give him a break. Within the ancient temple by Moon Lake, the records on the Jialan Pages Sutra were but a few sparse words, roughly noted.

Morlin, full of excitement, leaned on the stool and talked non-stop. He removed his glasses to clean the frosty film from the lenses, unaware of anything odd.

"So the Buddha knew of the great calamity that humanity would face a thousand years later and left clues behind."

"Have some tea," an old man offered a cup of freshly brewed tea.

Molin took an instinctive sip, "The water's a bit hot," he said impatiently.

"The Buddha mentioned that when the Shurangama Sutra disappears, and a hundred years after the Infinite Life Sutra vanishes, that's when the great calamity of mankind will arise. But why didn't the Buddha tell us directly how to solve it, or why didn't the compassionate Buddha use his supreme powers to end the catastrophe? Instead, we are to wait for the coming of Maitreya Buddha."

"Birth, aging, sickness, death, growth and decay, this is the path all beings must tread, even the Buddha must enter Nirvana. What's there to worry about?" the old monk sipped his tea with equanimity.

The old monk calmly sipped his tea, one sip after another, in tranquility.

"But this is a great calamity, and survivors are few and far between, with human lifespans shortened to merely a dozen years. And yet, people in the world still live in ignorance. Isn't that worrisome?"

"Young man, the Buddha told us of the coming of the Dharma-ending age, the world's calamity, not for us to avoid it in advance, nor for the public to frown and worry all day long."

"Shouldn't we worry? These two sutras have already been lost, signaling the arrival of the Dharma-ending age."

"Young people worry about the nation and its people, and concern for the human calamity is both good and bad."

"In the past, people were poor and worried about not having enough to eat. Modern people live in high-rises, drive fancy cars, yet worry more about losing everything one day.

Young people worry about not meeting educational standards, not finding good jobs. Middle-aged people worry about their parents falling ill, their children not striving for better.

Living each day like a rabbit under the gun, frightened."

"Yes, I always fear that something bad will happen to me tomorrow", Molin murmured.

"Living in this world, hoping everyone around is kind to oneself, expecting good things to happen to oneself. When encountering bad people, facing misfortunes, one wishes these people would go straight to hell, to return the world to a bright and clear state.

But the Buddha told us the Dharma-ending age will surely come, bad things will surely happen, just like in a forest, there are wolves, tigers, monkeys, rabbits, owls, all sorts. The crowd is inevitably a mix of good and bad; this is nature.

"Do you reckon wolves are all bad and rabbits all good?"

Merlin considered nodding, but upon reflection, he shook his head instead.

A cup of tea at 150 degrees Fahrenheit, some find it hot, some find it cool, some find it just right, but the tea remains the same; it's our hearts that change.

But what the Buddha truly wants to teach us is to find our own tranquility and balance, that is, our Buddha-nature."

That Buddha-nature is what truly isn't carried away by the flow of time, unaffected by life and death, undiminished by our emotions and attachments. It is the ultimate heart that knows no such thing as Dharma or Dharma-ending, no distinction between good and evil, sacred and demonic.

Only when you find this, will you not be carried away by the flow of life and death, not be carried away by karma. To you, the Dharma-ending age is but a vain concept.

I cannot find a ready Buddha-nature for you, nor can the Dharma. All conditioned phenomena are like dew or lightning; within them is the Buddha and the paths of others who have become enlightened. Your own path can only be felt and found by yourself."

"What kind of person can attain enlightenment?" Morlin asked devoutly, eagerly awaiting the old monk's response.

The old monk lifted his heavy eyelids, as if pondering a profound question. He shook his head slowly, his eyes emitting a hint of depth.

"Dare I ask, venerable one, would it be someone with the deepest understanding of Buddhist teachings?" Morlin ventured, filled with curiosity.

The old monk still shook his head. His voice was deep and calm. "Dare I ask, would it be the most intelligent person?"

Morlin pondered for a moment, thinking of many clever and talented individuals, yet some of them were lost in the distractions of the world, far from the freedom of the soul.

"Is it the strongest? The wealthiest? Or the most powerful?" Morlin guessed again.

The old monk smiled faintly, shaking his head. "Physical strength is merely superficial, how can one holding tightly to the golden scepter be free?"

Morlin silently contemplated, as the old monk continued slowly,

"Enlightenment doesn't require many conditions, not even someone who can read. Because the Buddha nature has long existed in everyone's heart."

"But they must break through all illusions." The old monk's voice gradually lowered, as if warning Morlin.

Morlin felt as if he stood before an endless abyss, his thoughts scattered and confused. But he knew this was the beginning of an inner exploration and enlightenment.

"Have I been wasting my time all these years?"

"No, we practitioners are fortunate to have read the Buddha's scriptures. He guides us to find our own way. How can we say we're wasting time? We've already embarked on the journey; we're just on the path."

Morlin felt a surge of guilt in his heart, bowing his head in remorse as he slowly retreated.

At the same time, he inexplicably felt the air around him turn unusually cold, a drop of icy rain hitting his neck, like a cold tendril brushing lightly over his throat, bringing an inexplicable sense of unease.

The elder monk gently closed his eyes, the scent of jasmine tea wafting through the air, bringing tranquility to his mind.

Suddenly, the usually surrounded abbot approached alone, walking slowly to the elder's side. Instead of sitting, he crouched beside him, just as in years past.

"Master, where has the Buddha's child gone? Is he still alive or has he entered the cycle of rebirth?" the abbot asked.

The elder monk shook his head slightly, a hint of regret in his gesture.

"It was an accident. We were on guard against demons, but an unexpected third party has made it impossible for us to determine the whereabouts of the Buddha's child. We also lost a junior brother who was secretly protecting him."

"Master, why don't we tell him that he is the reincarnation of a Buddha's disciple? Each generation's Buddha's disciple is entrusted with the Buddha's mission; once the time is right, he will awaken to his past and present lives and pass on the Buddha's legacy to the next Buddha's disciple."

"First of all, he might not accept this truth. Additionally, telling him too soon could lead to the Buddha's legacy being leaked, attracting the interest of the dark forces."

"Where exactly is the Buddha's legacy hidden?"