21

.
.
.
Yunlan and Wei were standing in front of Wei's house, both completely nervous for different reasons. Wei takes a deep breath, trying to calm his racing heart and nods his head with determination. He raised his knuckles and knocked on the front door. After a few seconds, the door was opened to see a smiling Ms Shen, whose smile widened as soon as her eyes landed on Yunlan.

"Wei! Yunlan! Come on in......you must be hungry, I have cooked a lot of your favourite dishes. Go wash your hand and sit down for dinner."

Wei stops Ms Shen from walking back to the kitchen. "Mom....I want to tell you something"

"Can't that wait dear? I am sure you all are more hungry now. How about we talk after dinner? Hmm...now go wash your hands"

Wei compiles as he could not refute his mother. Wei was not very hungry but he still sits down and tries to eat as much as he can. He was trying his best to urge down the nervousness that was bubbling inside him. Seeing him struggle to eat even a morsel of food his mother sighs and puts her utensils down giving her full attention to him.

"You are going to get indigestion Wei Wei. Tell me what's bothering you?"

Wei gulps and puts his utensils down before standing up from the chair. Seeing Wei ready to spill the secret, Yunlan too gets up and stands beside him. Wei holds Yunlan's hand in his and this gesture does not miss his mother's eyes. She looks up at them questioningly.

"Mom......I am dating Yunlan...."

After hearing this his mother too stands up from her seat "Ha??? What do you mean by 'dating Yunlan'? Is it that kind? Boy to boy lovers?"

"Yes....it is..."

There was a pin drop silence in the room. Even though the weather was cool......the temperature in the room was quite hot. Ms Shen quietly walks past them and sits on the sofa holding her head in her hands.

"Are you asking for my support?"

"Yes....I hope you would support us"

Ms Shen throws a pillow at Wei and shouts pointing a finger at him. "You want me to support what? How dare you Shen Wei......how dare you date a man? You liked women before. You even dated that Chen Ling......why did you jump to a man instead? What is it that he gave you compared to women. He lacks in many ways. He cannot even give me grandchildrens. How can you do this to your only mother? Do you know how hard I raised you after your father left us for a rich women? Is this what you give me for my kindness?.....I cannot imagine you with a man. This is wrong. I will never support you Shen Wei. Leave him right now .....break up with him....."

"Mom plea___"

"If you can't leave him. Get out of my life. I don't want a son like you"

Shen Wei falls on his knees and begs his mother. "Mom....you and Yunlan are both important parts of my life. I can't live without either of you."

This time Yunlan too kneels beside Wei and bangs his head on the floor as a form of apology. "Mom...please..."

"You have no right to call me Mom Yunlan. Get out of my house. You are no longer welcome here ..."

"Momm....." Wei screams as tears threaten to fall down his cheeks. "Mom.....please ...."

Ms Shen brushes off her son's hand that was holding her's desperately. "I won't support you, even if you kneel down and beg me" she walks out of the living room and enters her room closing the door behind her.