Chapter 7 |The Search (Part 2)

I snickered as I closed the refrigerator. "Well, as of today, there's going to be the two of us now."

He glanced at me. "And as you can see, this is the reason why I went out grocery shopping."

"Thank you," I smiled, taking out the rest of the vegetables from the plastic bag. "That was really sweet of you."

"Now tell me," Rain dropped everything in his hands to look at me. "Do you have any kind of food allergies?"

I stared back at his face. Is he serious? How considerate of him to ask if I had any food allergies. Boys I've dated in the past never asked me that question before. My heart raced a little, knowing Rain could be the perfect husband material. I quickly discarded that thought as soon as it landed on my mind. I couldn't afford to break character, especially at this crucial time. I still haven't found what I was looking for. Mabel's probably laughing her ass off in her mansion somewhere. No. I refuse to surrender without a fight.

The heat on my cheeks started to burn me from embarrassment. "Fortunately, I don't have any. I've never encountered any allergic reaction since I was a kid, so it's all good."

He nodded. "Great. Now. what are your favorite foods?"

"Why do you want to know?"

"I'm your boss, and you're living under my roof. I want to make sure my employees are well taken care of."

My heart made an exciting twist. God, is he my angel? Or, am I in heaven right now? Am I dreaming? Because if I am, then I don't want to wake up. At least not yet. Please let me enjoy this moment a little longer.

"You don't need to know." I shook my head, trying my best to hide my smile. I took the bag of baby carrots from the bag.

"As your boss," he took the baby carrots away from my hands. "I'm demanding you to tell me your favorite foods."

I opened my mouth, evidently to explain why he doesn't need to know, but he raised his hand, and that immediately stopped the words from leaving my mouth. "Okay, I'm sorry," I ran a hand down my left arm. "It's just... I don't know," I shook my head. "I think it's a little weird to share all those things to an employer. I'm sure you don't really need all that information."

Rain closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose. He let out a small sigh. "Alright. I won't force you if you don't want to. I apologize if I'm a little pushy. It's just how I am sometimes." He went back to whatever he was doing. I realized he was washing the vegetables on the sink. I suddenly wondered what was he planning for lunch.

"Is your chef coming over today?" I asked. Changing the subject was the best way to do it, that way he doesn't have to ask me those questions again. I don't want to get too attached to him for doing all these dreamy things, or else I would never leave this place.

"He doesn't work when I'm here." He replied.

"And why is that?"

"Unless it's for a big party, then that's the only time I request his services," he reached for a chopping board. "I like to cook my own meals."

"That's really nice of you," I smiled. It was honestly a genuine smile on my part. This man is incredible. He has a good heart. You could tell from the way he moved, the way he talked, what a beautiful human being he really is. Watching him slowly place the long salmon fillet on a foil covered tray made my heart beat faster. "Do you need any help with anything? I don't like standing around. It's awkward."

"Are you sure you're not allergic to shellfish?" He asked, showing me a bag of uncooked shrimps.

"No, no allergies of any kind." A little laugh escaped my mouth. I wasn't able to stop myself.

"Oh yeah, when I'm not home, don't be afraid to explore the whole house," he said as he took scoops of mayonnaise from the large jar. "You're not grounded to one spot here. Feel free to get out as much as you can."

"Really?" I smiled. "I can?"

He must've seen the light in my eyes. Because the moment he did, his smile disappeared. "Except for that one room I told you about."

"Oh, don't worry about that," I waved a hand, acting like what he said didn't matter to me. "You don't have to tell me twice, boss."

"Glad we're clear." He took the salmon and placed it inside the oven.