Chapter 2 | A Secret (Part 2)

When Rain Falls

Chapter 2 – A Secret (Part 2)

     It was close to four in the afternoon when I decided to stop by a small diner. My stomach had been grumbling since I left San Diego. Skipping breakfast was never an option until this morning which was a big mistake. I was a nervous wreck when I was getting ready. My little sister, Ella, heard me crying in the bathroom. She asked me if I was alright. I tried sending her away, but she was pretty stubborn. She said she wasn't going to leave until I told her what was going on with me.

     I had to put on a brave face before speaking to her. Ella was only thirteen but she understood what I was going through. When dad passed away, she was the one who comforted me. Sometimes there were days when it felt like she was my older sister.

     I'm already exhausted from searching for an apartment in Brooklyn. Mom kept asking if I've already met Deidra. I don't know how many times she had asked me, but it started to get really annoying. Just to get her off my back, I told her I did and my friend was helping me settle in my new room. Yes, it was a lie. Deidra Miller was an old friend and I haven't spoken to her in a long time. She moved to New York years ago, according to some friends of mine. I know mom would eventually find out, but in the meantime, I have to find a place to stay. I'll worry about her later.

     My phone buzzed. It was a text message from Ella along with a picture of her and my cat, Paprika.

Ella: Paprika and I miss you already. Come back soon. <3

     My heart swelled and tears stung at the back of my eyes. Damn it, Ella. I wiped my eyes with the heels of my palms. Maybe it was a bad idea to leave San Diego. Mom, Ella, Paprika. They were my only family and I left them.

     "Don't cry," the girl said as she placed my order on the table. "You know your worth."

     I looked up at her, puzzled. "I'm sorry?"

     She nodded over at my phone. "I assume you're crying over a guy?"

     "Oh, no," I shook my head and smiled. "No, it's not a guy. It's actually my family. I'm new here."

     "Yeah, I can tell," she looked down at the bright metallic pink bag next to my side which was obviously a clear giveaway. "Where are you from?"

     "San Diego." I took a sip of the coffee I ordered. The hot liquid relaxed my nerves.

     "Nice," she smiled. "I heard the weather there's pretty good."

     "Yeah, it is," I nodded. "Thank you so much."

     "You're welcome," she reached for a straw inside her apron and placed it next to my glass of lemon water. "If you need anything else, just wave. Enjoy."

     I stared outside the window for a brief moment before turning my attention back to the girl who was busy clearing the booth next to mine. "Oh, excuse me. I was just wondering since you live here, do you know any places here in the area that have rooms or apartment for rent?"

     She stopped collecting the dishes, then shrugged. "I don't know. I mean, we do rent out like three rooms upstairs, but they're all taken. If you want, you can give me your phone number. I'll contact you when one of our tenants move out."

     "Oh, that's okay," I started to slice through my steak omelette. "I'm just going to book a motel room for tonight and I'll start searching again tomorrow."

     "The name's Prisha, by the way." She extended her hand.

     I shook her hand and smiled. "Raina. Nice to meet you."

     "Since you're new here," Prisha ripped a piece of paper from her small spiral notebook. "I'm going to give you my number. That way if you need any help, I'm just a phone call away."

     "How sweet of you," I took the paper from her hands and inserted it in one of the backpack's pockets. "Thank you so much. That means a lot."

     Prisha went back to what she was doing. It was a relief that I met a new friend today. I took my phone and popped the case. A small piece of paper fell out from the back. I stared at it for several seconds before I started to unfold it.

You are the only star in my eyes.

     "You are the only star in my eyes," I whispered to myself, brushing my thumb across the handwritten words. "What do you mean, Dad?"

     Two years ago

     I threw the long-stemmed red rose on top of my father's casket. My throat felt tight ever since I found out he passed away. No words were able to come out, and I refused to speak to anyone. My whole surroundings were blurred out. My mind had blocked out everything around me. I silently berated myself. It was all my fault. He died because of me.

     The last memory of my dad flashed in my head. He was running after me across a hotel lobby. "Don't leave, Raina. Please, don't do this."

     "I can't believe you did this, Dad. I trusted you," I jabbed a finger to his chest as hard as I could. "I hate you."

     "Honey, please let me explain." He took a step forward, and I took a step back near the revolving glass doors.

     "I hate you!" I screamed at the top of my lungs. Everyone in the hotel turned to look at us.

     "Do me a favor, Dad," I said through gritted teeth. "Please, just stay away from me. I never want to see you again. I want you out of my life. So, please just disappear."

     "You don't mean that," he said softly, extending his hand. His eyes were brimming with tears. "Now let's go back. Your mother is waiting for us."

     "She's not my mother." I snapped. My eyes darted past my father's shoulders. My friend, Pandora, and the others from the party were running towards us. Shit. I pushed through the revolving glass doors. Panic, fear, and denial raced through me as I ran towards the parking garage to look for my dad's car. My phone kept buzzing, but I ignored it. I reached inside my purse for the key fob.

     Where the hell did I parked again?

     A few minutes of running around the parking garage, I finally found my father's black Benz. I quickly slipped inside, my chest heaving. Where will I go? I can't go back to the mansion. I don't want to see my dad there, or my stepmother. At the corner of my eye, something twinkled. My eyes flitted to the passenger side. There was a silver-colored envelope. It was addressed to my father's name. I pulled out the card. It was an invitation to Vincent and Daphne Sterling's wedding. And that wedding is today.

     I guess I have a wedding to crash.