Chapter 4 | Help Wanted (Part 2)

"Sure," Dale motioned at the door. "When you step out of the kitchen, it's the second door to the right."

"Thank you," I nodded, forcing out a smile. I glanced at Deidre, jerking a thumb over my shoulder. "Be right back, Deeds."

I knew where the bathroom was. Just listening to some person give me directions in a house where I used to live was a little painful. It felt like my heart was stabbed with tiny pins as I made my way to the bathroom. As I reached for the bathroom door knob, I paused and scanned the walls around me. The interior paint color remained the same just like the mansion's exterior. White. God, I missed this place so much. It reminded me of my childhood and how I enjoyed the memories of playing hide and seek with my nanny and our butler. Fun times.

I walked closer to the window. The heavy cream-colored drapes were neatly pulled to the side with a golden decorative tassel tieback. Chills ran over my skin from the cool gust of wind that caressed my face. It was already spring time, but the weather still felt like it was winter. The scent of lavender from the garden below floated through the window, causing my head to slightly spin. I shook my head. Focus. The scent was so relaxing, it made me forget that I was here on a mission. This was not the time to reminisce on the past.

Laughter erupted in the kitchen. The guys were still having fun, obviously. While they are preoccupied, this would be a great opportunity to go and check my old bedroom. When I was a kid, I remember placing a box on one of the floorboards. It was hidden for a long time, and no one, not even my dad, has mentioned anything about it. Based on the looks of this house, nothing much has changed. So maybe I have a greater chance of finding it intact at the place where I hid it. Let's just hope for the best that I don't get caught snooping around.

My bedroom was located on the third floor right next to the master bedroom. It should only take me a few minutes to locate the box. My heart raced as I made my way up the stairs, praying Deidre and the bodyguards wouldn't look for me. But then again, it would be a little suspicious if I was gone for a long time. Whatever. I'll be as quick as possible. It didn't take long before I reached my old bedroom. Just like the rest of the house, everything looked the same, with the exception of some wall paintings and plants in certain corners. It seemed like Deidre's boss wasn't into renovations. That's good. Once I find what I'm looking for, I'll try to buy back this house. I'll do whatever it takes to get it back.

Closing my eyes, I wrapped my right hand around the knob. I could hear my heart beat slam against my rib cage as I slowly twisted it. I'm sure no one else lives here. Deidre's boss wasn't married, and he doesn't have any kids either. I pushed the door and stepped in. It felt like my whole world crumbled around me when I realized that the contents of the room were no longer mine. A white queen size bed with a light gray plush headboard had replaced my tiny pink one. The pink and lavender colored castle along with my stuffed toys were no longer present. Shit. It was a mistake coming here. Why the hell did I come here?

I wanted to retreat, but I was already here, so why leave now? There wouldn't be another chance in the future, that's for sure. Not wasting another second, I immediately got down on all fours and started rolling the ash gray shag rug that was placed underneath the bed. Once I located the floorboard, I brought out a small flat-head screwdriver from my purse. As soon as I stuck the screwdriver at the edge of the board, I heard the sound of Cosmo's barks coming from downstairs, and before I could get the chance to stand up, the door opened and Cosmo immediately ran toward me with its tail wagging.

"Who are you?" A young man, who was probably in his mid-twenties, glared at me from the door. He was wearing a white hoodie and some faded blue jeans. "What the hell are you doing in my house?"

This was my house first, I wanted to say in my defense. I stared back at him, unable to say anything. Instead of answering his question, my mind was thinking of something else. He looked so familiar. Where have I seen him before? Tall. Flawless white skin. Red kissable lips. He reminded me of a Korean actor in one of those Korean dramas I've watched before. So handsome.

"Do you speak English?" He asked in a calm tone. I was surprised that he wasn't dragging me out of the room yet. But who was this guy anyway? Deidre's boss's brother perhaps?

"Yes," I finally uttered a word. "Yes, I do. I apologize if I was in here. I was—I—" My eyes nervously fell to the rolled shag rug. The screwdriver had rolled underneath the bed once I heard Cosmo's barks.

"Are you part of the cleaning crew?" The guy asked.

Cleaning crew? Of course. That would be a great alibi for why I was in here. He asked me a question, and he also provided me with an answer. The universe was clearly helping me get out of this trap. Trap? That's it! Since I don't have any cleaning supplies with me, I know what to tell him to make my story plausible.

"Yes, I'm part of the cleaning crew, sir." I replied, giving him a hand salute like I was in the military.

"Okay," he nodded, his gaze fell on the floor next to me. "Is there anything wrong?"

"Well, yeah," I scratched a nonexistent itch behind my ear. "I saw a baby mouse run in here, so I chased after it."

His eyes widened. "A mouse?"

"Yes, sir," I went down on my knees and started fixing the shag rug. I saw the screwdriver underneath the bed. Crap. There was no way for me to get it now, or else he'll see it and he might end up thinking of something bad and might tell his brother about me. I'll have Deidre retrieve it some other time. At least she could get in and out of here whenever she wanted. I got up, wiping my hands at the sides of my pants. "If there's a baby, you know there's a mama. I'm afraid this house might have a mouse infestation."

"That's ridiculous," he chuckled, brushing a thumb over his nose. "I've never seen a single mouse since I bought this place."

I swallowed, my eyes widening like a deer stuck in headlights. "Wait, you bought this place?"

"Yes, I did," he narrowed his gaze at me. "You know what? You look familiar. Have we met before?"

"That's funny, because I wanted to ask you the same thing," I forced out a laugh. In my mind, I was trying my best to scan my memories. Where did we meet? Then all of a sudden, I remembered.

"The wedding." We both said at the same time, while pointing at each other.

I smiled. "Vincent and Daphne's wedding. I remember now."

"You were the champagne girl," he pointed out. "How did you end up working for a cleaning crew anyway?"

"Hi, boss," Deidre stepped in the room, smiling. Her eyes widened when she saw me standing next to the bed. "Oh, um... this is..." her voice trailed off as her eyes switched to me and then to her boss.

"The name's Raina," I extended my hand to the guy in front of me. "And I work as a cleaning associate. Right, Ms. Deidre?"

He smiled, shaking my hand. I couldn't believe it. The guy I met at Vincent's wedding was the same guy who bought my dad's beach mansion. Was this fate or what? Deidre was unable to speak. Her eyes were covered with questions, but she went along with my charade.

"Uh, yes, she does work for the cleaning crew downstairs." Deidre said, clearly in panic mode.

THANK YOU FOR READING, GUYS!!!

XOXO

Katie