Chapter 13: Is the Fighting Over?

Suddenly, the door was thrown open, and a group of villagers rushed out, led by the principal. Although the sight of the giant wolf made their legs shake uncontrollably, they still charged into the battlefield with courage.

"Ah, ah!" The men's shouts at this moment were no less fierce than the roar of a beast.

The disdain in the eyes of this nocturnal wolf remained, with no slowing of its attack speed whatsoever. Everything seemed to be in slow motion as the villagers' eyes began to show expressions of pain, helplessness, and anxiety.

In a fleeting moment, Dan's hope was extinguished as quickly as it had ignited. He couldn't comprehend it—ordinary beasts would surely retreat in fear, yet the ferocious creature before him showed no sign of intimidation. It seemed to see through their attempts at intimidation, like a gambler at the end of their luck, laying bare all their cards, helpless and staring into the abyss.

However, just as he prepared to accept his fate, a spear suddenly thrust forth from an unexpected angle, aimed directly at the werewolf's throat.

The appearance of this spear was without warning, like lightning in the darkness, causing everyone to turn their heads. It was a special move from the boy, a renowned spear technique, known as the"Returning Spear", a counterattack that caught opponents off guard in moments of failure.

At this moment, Dizzy Dan's heart seemed to stop beating, he knew that this was the turning point of victory or defeat, where every move could decide life or death.

If the werewolf continued to attack, his throat would be pierced by the spear, and the inertia could also allow his claws to slash the throats of two people simultaneously.

The werewolf's eyes shimmered like an autumn sunset, with a hint of hesitation and cunning. It weighed the pros and cons of attacking and retreating, searching for the best moment to act.

In an instant, its gaze became resolute, as if it had found its target. With the speed of a storm, its massive paw struck down like a tempest on A-Lai's iron spear. Using the force of the counter-blow, spun lightly and landed firmly on his feet.

"Clang," the iron spear fell to the ground, twisted, bent, and deformed.

A-Lai felt a sudden weakness under the tremendous impact. Though he had blocked the werewolf's deadly strike, he couldn't shake off a sense of melancholy.

If his master had intervened, that move would have surely killed or defeated the werewolf. But in his hands, the creature remained unscathed. Doubts crept into his mind—would he have another chance to act? Hope seemed dim.

The werewolf didn't press the attack. Instead, it stood tall, its imposing form like a mountain, exerting a heavy pressure on A-Lai, Principal, and the villagers. They protected A-Lai and Dan, but no one dared make a rash move.

The werewolf sneered, eyes glinting with arrogance.

"Any more tricks? If you can't surprise me, the game is over!" it growled, a mocking smile spreading across its face as it taunted the villagers.

The werewolf inched closer, the air thickening under its influence, like a cat toying with a mouse. The wild wolves cheered it on, howling fervently. The villagers' eyes were filled with desperation, but no one moved an inch backward.

The werewolf's steps faltered when an old man suddenly appeared in front of it. Bald, white-bearded, and hunchbacked, the old man wore a floral cotton jacket and held a long pipe. He turned his back to the werewolf but smiled at A-Lai.

"Master!" A-Lai sat up excitedly. The one who arrived was A-Lai's master, Old GongSun.

"Good disciple, your lance work is finally taking shape, but your burst strength is lacking. You need to release three times your current power to defeat this beast," the old man said confidently.

He took A-Lai's iron spear, gave it a gentle twist, and restored the deformed section to its original state. The villagers inhaled the cold air in disbelief as they watched the strongest man struggle to accomplish the task.

The werewolf, momentarily stunned, was angered by the old man's dismissive attitude. It howled at the sky, fists clenched, revealing its inner fury.

The old man turned back,"You're like a puppet being controlled by someone. Let me help you!"

The werewolf extended her strong arms with fingernails glinting like daggers, attempting to grab the old man. However, the elder leaped above the werewolf's head, rolled through the air, and landed behind the beast with the agility of a fox.

He flicked his pipe, sending ashes and sparks flying. Hundreds of thin black lines connected the Werewolf to the depths of the forest.

The old man made a sharp cut with a birch stick, like the world's sharpest sword, slicing through the black lines. A muffled groan echoed from the distance. The old man immediately identified his target and swiftly moved away, leaving the werewolf behind.

"No need to panic about the werewolf, they're noble. Get inside and wait until morning!" His voice trailed off as he quickly moved away.

The werewolf seemed to snap out of a dream, shaking its head in confusion, before surveying the scene. Its fierce gaze gradually cleared, and its ferocity gave way to haughty pride. In a swift turn, it left the area abruptly.

The principal and the villagers exhaled in relief, pulling Dan and A-Lai inside the building and sealing the door shut.

All the surviving villagers were excited, though still sweating and breathing heavily.

"Is that the legendary returning spear? Master said if A-Lai is getting older, no one can avoid it!" one villager exclaimed, wiping sweat from his brow.

"That's nothing—A-Lai's Poseidon's trident technique is even more powerful!" another villager, still shaken, peeked outside but spoke with forced nonchalance.

"The werewolf is gone, and the master is here. We should be safe now, right?"

"That old man is often drunk—who knows how reliable he is this time," someone muttered skeptically.

"It seems that there's an even more evil monster hiding in the forest!" another villager whispered, casting a nervous glance toward the dark trees.

Everyone fell silent, the weight of the new threat pressing heavily on their minds.