57- I still need to win you back

"Make it quick," Stevie asked JJ as he pulled up outside the Pelican Club. She had already spent far too much time with JJ's dad for both of their likings. JJ pulled the hand brake and picked up the bags of provisions from the back of the car whilst Luke slowly unbuckled and left, taking the smell of musty beer with him. "Hey Luke," Stevie couldn't let him go without one final taunt, so she smiled as if she couldn't care less whilst flipping him off with her middle finger.

Luke had attempted to turn back but JJ blocked his way. "Go. Go!" JJ's voice was flat. His personality always retreated into himself when he was around his dad, as a way to protect himself. "Did you have to do that?" JJ asked as he and his father made it to the boat, "Did you have to annoy her like that?"

"Hey I told her the truth," Luke looked sternly at his son, "It's not my fault she didn't like it,"

"Everything I have," JJ let out his frustration, this might be the only chance before his father was gone forever, "you fricking ruin"

"Nah she did that herself," Luke scoffed whilst he untied ropes on the boat, not engaging in eye contact, "If she broke up with you, why do you still care?"

"Dad, we are not talking about this right now," JJ left to switch the boat on, not wanting to listen to whatever opinion he had formed on Stevie. He had never once taken interest in his life or dating life, there was no reason to start now.

JJ started up the motor and skillfully took the drugs that Luke had tried to stash in a drawer and pocketed them to keep them away from his father.

It had started to take longer than expected. Worry crept into Stevie's mind as JJ was gone longer than she had thought they would be. She would never stop worrying for him. Once she made it through the Club and towards the boats out the back, relief flooded her veins when she saw JJ ok. But he stood still, with the rope still in his hands.

The last thread tying him to his dad and he couldn't quite let go. It was as if every memory, the good and the bad, came to his mind and he couldn't let it go. There was a longing for what could have been. Luke wasn't always bad and an addict, or abusive, Luke had been fun with an infectious laugh similar to JJ's. But that's not who he was anymore. He chose to be bitter.

After a deep sigh, JJ let go. 17 years of pain. Small tears decorated his cheeks, but largely he was relieved. He would never have to fear him again. Never have to protect Stevie from him. It was done.

Gently, not to startle him, Stevie walked closer and closer to the edge of the jetty where JJ had been standing. She crept closer and closer till JJ stopped her as he turned around, the two only a foot apart. As if her hands were controlled by her heart, she reached for his face, holding her palms gently to his cheeks whilst her thumbs traced the trail of his tears to wipe them away.

"I hate dads," JJ adam's apple bobbed as he spoke.

"I'm so sorry you didn't have the father you deserved,"

"You too,"

...

It had been pretty quiet on the journey back. Neither looked at each other. JJ had so much to say and so much to ask but he couldn't do it to her. He knew something else was going on, and he knew Stevie well enough that if he kept berating her with questions it would make their relationship worse. But he wanted her to know still how much she meant to him, that would never change.

"Where the hell were you guys?" Pope shouted from the roof of the Twinkie as the two climbed out of Kie's father's stolen truck.

"Paternal complication," Stevie sighed, not having wanted to take the detour in the first place. As she got closer to the Twinkie she noticed John B's wincing and the paleness to his face.