20- You show no remorse

TW- SA

The weather still wasn't right for the drone which left the teens up to their normal summer routines. They didn't realise how wrapped up the gold they got until they had to wait and fill time. Stevie felt a lot lighter after sorting things with JJ. It would be fun like starting to become friends all over again even though they knew each other quite well.

Both of them were stubborn and were unlikely to change so it was inevitable that they would still argue but this time around it would come from a place of friendship rather than actually annoying each other. Over the 8 years they had known each other there were times when they really got along and Stevie hoped it would be like that.

"Morning Pops," Stevie said with a smile as she walked into Heyward's seafood. Pope had asked her to help with his chores and seeing as she wasn't working today she had nothing better to do.

"Hey kiddo," Heyward hugged her. Out of all of Pope's friends, she was his favourite. Both of Pope's parents were like parents to Stevie and supported her when she needed it. No one knew how she got Heyward to actually like her.

"I don't understand," JJ emerged from the back of the shop with Pope. "how did she do it?"

"Because I'm awesome," Stevie joked, making JJ chuckle. Pope stood to the side trying to figure out if the two were ok because last he saw they were ripping into each other.

"You guys aren't gonna kill each other right?" Pope asked, worried that the two were still angry with each other.

"We squashed it," JJ told the boy. Stevie looked over at the blonde and they smiled at each other, holding eye contact for a little too long, which Pope noticed.

"I think I liked it better when you were arguing." Pope led the two out to the boat where they would be making the deliveries.

"You guys get these groceries straight over to Figure Eight. Get straight back here when you're done." Heyward started to load the boat up with the bags of food. "No fishing." He looked specifically at JJ. "I promised delivery by this afternoon. Rich folks don't want to wait for you lazy son... aw thanks Stevie... sons of bitches."

"Well be back soon," JJ promised Heyward.

"Keep the boys in check, will you darling?" Heyward asked the girl.

"Always." She smiled as the boat departed from the dock.

"It's unfair that he thinks of you as an angel even though you do bat-shit crazy things. I have to keep you in check," Pope complained.

"The trick is to get them to think of you're an angel without ever having to do any work." She smiled at him mischievously. Kook houses looked no different to before the storm. When they travelled through the marsh and further into Figure Eight territory the three couldn't believe the kook's privilege. "Doesn't even look like the storm hit there," Stevie sighed.

"They've got generators, Stevie." JJ smiled sadly at her, "Get used to it."

"They say the juice will be out all summer at the cut," Pope laughed sarcastically.

"This shit's unfair." Stevie rolled her eyes. Pogue life was fun and it always is but the island divide in wealth became impossible to deal with at times like this.

Pope parked the boat at a jetty near the golf course, the halfway point between the two deliveries they had to do. Pope's delivery was much bigger so Stevie helped him by carrying a few bags across the golf course.

"Can't believe you forgave JJ." Pope was baffled by the fact they no longer hated each other. Of course, it was nice that the group didn't have to listen to their arguments but Pope genuinely never thought he would see the day, "How did he do it?"