Chapter 43: The blue room and the brothers.

Start from the beginning

"Perhaps they believe you to be dead, or perhaps they think you have gone to live your life. I would not know."

I groaned, "Rien—"

Of course there just had to be an interruption right then. I gritted my teeth and turned away from him when the intruder pushed the door open without knocking and entered the room with a smug smile on his perfect little bloodsucking face.

"Ah...the human lives." Rien's brother, Jorlon said when he saw me. He offered me the creepiest bloodsucking smile when I only glared at him, then he turned his attention to Rien who was watching him with an expression equal to boredom.

"When I saw that his bed in the medical center was empty I cocluded that he must have died." The bloodsucker continued with a smile. "I had decided in that moment that I would come here to console you. I did not wish to see your tears again. Not wh—"

"Enough Jorlon." Rien interrupted him with a growl.

To my surprise, his brother's smile fell and I thought that maybe Rien had somehow hurt his little bloodsucking feelings...but when his smile grew back just a quickly, I decided that his feelings, if they even existed, were perfectly intact.

"It is good that you have taken him to your private chambers. I read recently that humans need extra care and attention. Keeping him with you will certainly provide that. Very wise Rien."

My eyes narrowed of their own accord. Was this the same brother who I'd thought was just as evil and emotionless as the rest? He reminded me of Snowflake; clueless and annoyingly innocent.

As I watched him inch closer and closer to Rien as he spoke, I thought that despite this side of his personality, that I hadn't known existed, he was not a man to be underestimated. I'd seen snowflake in the ring, ripping hearts out of chests and breaking necks; this fool conversing with Rien was a masterclass vamp; which meant he could also be ruthless.

"Father is right of course, you cannot keep him once you have been made leader." He continued. By now he was beside Rien's chair, looking at me with mild curiosity. "Perhaps as a pet though. I do not think our people would mind that."

"I'm sure." The boredom in Rien's voice was unmistakable.

Wait a minute.

"What do you mean leader?"

If it were even possible, Jorlon's smile widened. "Father has declared him his heir. He has decided to step down and Riener will take his rightful place." He sounded like a proud, smug brother, but he was grating on my nerves.

When I looked at Rien, he was watching me with what I could only describe as expectation.

"You're gonna lead the coven?"

"No. I have already decided against it."

When Jorlon sat at on the bed by my legs, I frowned.

"It has never been your decision Riener. Father wants—"

"When have I ever given a thought to father's desires?"

"If not you, then who will lead? Surely not Kandane who means to kill us all."

"No...not Kandane." He agreed. "Why not you?"

He froze, his mouth opening and closing without so much as I sound.

I sighed and turned to Rien, who gave me an indulgent smile. The smile annoyed me.

"Surely you jest Riener."Jorlon finally spoke. "I am no leader...nor do I wish to be. I have neither the experience, nor the fortitude. It must be you."