In the shadows - Jensoo

TW: ABUSE

In this story, 18-year-old Jisoo lives with her abusive stepmother Hae-won and stepsister Jennie, who reluctantly mistreats Jisoo under Hae-won's orders. Jisoo's mother, an alcoholic, also abuses her, making Jisoo's life miserable after her father's death.

Despite the abuse, Jennie doesn't truly hate Jisoo and feels guilty about her actions. One night, Jennie brings Jisoo tea and bandages, apologizing for her behavior and expressing a desire to change their lives. The sisters grow closer and plan to escape their toxic home.

_______

Jisoo's life was a shadow of what it used to be. Once filled with laughter and warmth, her home had become a cold, hostile place ever since her father passed away in a car crash. Her stepmother, Hae-won, and stepsister, Jennie, took over the house and made Jisoo's life miserable. Her mother, who had never been the kindest soul, had turned into a full-blown alcoholic, unleashing her rage on Jisoo.

Jisoo sat quietly in her room, nursing the fresh bruises on her arms. Her stepmother's voice echoed from downstairs.

"Dinner's ready! Jisoo, get down here and set the table," Hae-won shouted.

Jisoo flinched at the sound but obeyed. She quickly descended the stairs, hoping to avoid another beating. Jennie was already in the kitchen, a frown etched on her face. Despite the rough exterior, Jisoo knew that deep down, Jennie didn't truly hate her. It was Hae-won's influence that forced Jennie to act out.

As Jisoo set the table, Hae-won sneered at her. "Can't you do anything right? You're worthless, just like your mother."

Jennie glanced at Jisoo, guilt flickering in her eyes. "Mom, leave her alone. She's doing her best."

Hae-won slapped Jennie across the face. "Don't you dare talk back to me!"

Jisoo's heart ached for Jennie. Despite everything, she couldn't bring herself to hate her stepsister. After all, Jennie was a victim of Hae-won's manipulation too.

One evening, after a particularly harsh beating, Jisoo lay on her bed, staring at the ceiling. Tears streamed down her face as she thought about her father. She missed him dearly and couldn't understand why life had become so cruel.

A soft knock on her door interrupted her thoughts. "Jisoo, can I come in?" Jennie's voice was hesitant.

Jisoo wiped her tears and sat up. "Yeah, come in."

Jennie entered, carrying a small tray with a cup of tea and some bandages. "I brought you this," she said, setting the tray down on the bedside table.

"Thanks," Jisoo whispered, her voice barely audible.

Jennie sighed and sat down next to Jisoo. "I'm sorry, Jisoo. I know I've been terrible to you, but I don't hate you. Mom... she makes me do these things."

Jisoo nodded, understanding the unspoken fear that Jennie lived with. "I know, Jennie. I don't blame you."

Jennie took Jisoo's hand in hers, squeezing it gently. "Things have to change. We can't keep living like this."

One night, while Hae-won snored drunkenly in her room, Jennie quietly slipped into Jisoo's room. It had been several days since they had last spoken privately. Jennie had noticed how exhausted and sad Jisoo had looked lately.

She knocked softly on the door before entering. "Jisoo? Are you awake?"

Jisoo, who was lying on her bed staring at the ceiling, sat up when she heard Jennie's voice. "Yes, come in."

Jennie closed the door behind her and sat on the edge of Jisoo's bed. In her hands, she carried a small package. "I brought you something," Jennie said, handing her the package.

Jisoo took it with curiosity. As she opened it, she found a small cake and a candle. Jennie lit the candle with a shy smile.

"Happy birthday, Jisoo. I know it's not much, but I wanted you to know that I didn't forget," Jennie said softly.

Jisoo's eyes filled with tears. She had forgotten it was her birthday due to the constant stress. "Thank you, Jennie. This means a lot to me."

Jennie nodded, feeling relieved to see Jisoo smile. "Blow out the candle and make a wish."

Jisoo closed her eyes and, for a moment, allowed a small ray of hope to light up her heart. Then, she blew out the candle and looked at Jennie. "Thank you. Really."

Jennie took Jisoo's hand and squeezed it. "Jisoo, I promise we'll find a way out of here. I don't want us to keep suffering."

Jisoo nodded, feeling a deep connection with her stepsister. "I don't either, Jennie. But as long as we're together, I know we can endure it."

Jennie sighed and lay down next to Jisoo. "I'm going to find a way for us to leave. I've started saving a bit of money. It's not much, but I hope it will be enough someday."

Jisoo looked at Jennie with admiration and hope. "Thank you for taking care of me, Jennie. I've always known you're stronger than you seem."

Jennie smiled and closed her eyes, feeling a bit of peace amidst the chaos. "We take care of each other, Jisoo. And that's what matters."

As they drifted off to sleep, both sisters found a small refuge in each other's company, a respite from the storm that was their daily life with Hae-won.

Over the next few weeks, Jennie and Jisoo grew closer, their bond strengthening as they confided in each other. They started to make plans to escape their toxic home environment.

One night, while Hae-won was passed out drunk, Jennie whispered to Jisoo, "I've been saving up some money. It's not much, but it's enough to get us away from here."

Jisoo's eyes widened in surprise. "Are you serious? Where would we go?"

"Anywhere but here," Jennie replied with determination. "We can find a small apartment and start fresh. We just need to get away from Mom and her abuse."

Jisoo felt a glimmer of hope for the first time in years. "Okay, let's do it."

On a particularly stormy night, Jennie and Jisoo put their plan into action. They packed their belongings into small bags, careful not to make any noise. With their hearts pounding, they crept out of the house and into the night.

As they walked away, Jennie turned to Jisoo. "We can do this, Jisoo. We're stronger together."

Jisoo nodded, her resolve firm. "Yes, we are."

Jennie and Jisoo found a small apartment on the outskirts of the city. It wasn't much, but it was theirs. They enrolled in a local school and found part-time jobs to support themselves. Life was far from perfect, but it was a vast improvement from the nightmare they had escaped.

One evening, as they sat together on the couch, Jennie looked at Jisoo with a smile. "You know, I never thought I'd be this happy."

Jisoo smiled back, feeling a warmth in her heart. "Me neither. Thank you for believing in us, Jennie."

Jennie hugged her stepsister tightly. "We'll be okay, Jisoo. As long as we have each other, we'll be okay."

And for the first time in a long time, Jisoo truly believed it.