Chapter Seven: Barrett

The oak door of the "Marina" tavern swung open, and a tall and muscular figure, wearing a cross-shaped longsword at his waist and clad in petrified cowhide armor, stepped inside—the middle-aged adventurer.

He treaded lightly, cautiously navigating through the noisy tavern, fearing that the reveling adventurers around might notice him. Despite keeping his face lowered and squeezing past two tray-carrying waitresses with a careful demeanor, his robust figure still caught the attention of those around him.

"Hey, isn't that Barrett Monde, the 'Mage's Shield,' the 'Magic Caster's Friend'?" shouted an adventurer with a brown stubble intentionally loud, staring at his face.

"What 'Mage's Shield'? He's now the 'Imperial Chief Eunuch' Barrett! Hahaha!" Another adventurer laughed recklessly, winking at Barrett, "Come on, Barrett, let me buy you a drink and tell us your story!"

Most of the people in the tavern burst into laughter, apparently Barrett's story had already been widely circulated, and there was no need for Barrett to recount it again.

Some newcomers to the adventurers couldn't wait to inquire about Barrett's experience from the people around them. After listening to others' accounts, these guys also cast sympathetic glances at Barrett's lower body region, while laughing.

Barrett's face flushed red, raging with anger, but powerless to act.

Just five days ago, adventurers and employers still affectionately called him by his nickname, "Mage's Shield." However, everything changed when he took on the task of capturing the two-headed lizards and crossed the River Fra. He lost something crucial in his life.

The River Fra was a shallow river on the edge of Mistwood, at its deepest, only reaching Barrett's waist.

For someone like him, a "Mithril" grade elite adventurer with nearly twenty years of experience, the River Fra was nothing but a small shadowy ditch. However, his life capsized in this tiny shadowy ditch.

At that time, Barrett was leading a team of adventurers, ready to wade through the River Fra on foot and head to Mistwood. Based on his experience of shuttling back and forth across the River Fra forty or fifty times, Barrett judged that the River Fra was completely safe at the moment.

First of all, the river was shallow, and secondly, the riverbed was hard soil and gravel, so people's feet wouldn't sink in. Most importantly, there were no dangerous monsters in the river. Indeed, there was a type of green-scaled short-snouted crocodile inhabiting this river, but by this early autumn, the green-scaled short-snouted crocodiles had already swum along the River Fra to spawn in the distant Lake Gal.

This was common knowledge among adventurers who wandered around the edge of Mistwood, and Barrett confidently led the team into the River Fra.

But what he never expected was that downstream of the River Fra, a village had built a dam this summer, blocking the route for the green-scaled short-snouted crocodiles to swim. So, when they waded through the River Fra, four or five green-scaled short-snouted crocodiles attacked them.

Fortunately, no one was fatally rolled to death by the green-scaled short-snouted crocodiles, only a half-elf was bitten on the foot, and a magic incantation apprentice lost his left hand.

Barrett wished he had lost just a hand like them, but the green-scaled short-snouted crocodile that attacked him, cunningly chose to attack from under his crotch in the muddy river water, successfully landing a bite.

Although Barrett managed to escape death with his exquisite martial arts, he still lost something from his lower body, and also lost his dignity as a man.