Chapter 11: Who Is The Hero?

With a burst of cracking sounds from his muscles and joints, Dizzy Dan unleashed the full force of his internal energy. He targeted the monster's forehead with a swing of his crude wooden bar. The bar carved a lightning-like path through the air.

The wild wolf monster dodged by tilting its head, but the stick instantly changed direction, heading straight for the creature's eyes. Under the illumination of the bonfire, the monster emitted a painful howl and attempted to counterattack by waving its sharp claws.

However, Dizzy Dan's wooden bar relentlessly struck the vital points on the monster's waist and back. In the end, the creature collapsed to the ground, motionless.

Dizzy Dan, like a dam bursting with built-up energy, swung his crude wooden bar and charged at the pack of wolves. Excitement filled his voice as he shouted,"Strike the forehead, pierce the eyes, pluck the melon from behind!"

With his wooden bar, he traced arcs in the air, each swing landing heavily on a wolf's head or ribs. His onslaught sent four or five wild wolves scrambling in disarray, some fleeing while others lay on the ground howling in agony.

Cheers erupted from behind the main door, a gleam of excitement flickering in his eyes. Dizzy Dan relished the adrenaline-pumping sensation.

"This feels good! I've never shown off like this before girls,oh...I mean... before villagers."

He cared not whether someone guarded his back; all he desired was to lead the charge, carving a bloody path ahead. His ferocity caught the attention of the wild wolves.

"Lord, this human is too hard to deal with. He seems indifferent to his own safety as long as he can kill more of us. Should I send all our fellows to ambush him?" the voice behind the wolves whispered to his lord.

"No, that warms me up. Just lure him away and I'll deal with him myself!"

The wild wolves began to retreat consciously, pretending to be scared by him, but they didn't run away completely, but stopped at a certain distance, barking provocatively, enticing him to continue chasing.

"Did you girls see that? They got scared of me! Now you know who the hero of the village is!" Dizzy Dan's mind floated with excitement. "I bet Jane will agree to go out with me after today! Where will our wedding be? What will be a good name for my son?"

Dan believed he had already gained an absolute advantage. But he didn't notice that the further he moved away from the bonfire, the deeper he stepped into the darkness.

His body was coated in blood, a mix of his own and that of the wild wolves, yet he felt no pain—only joy. He paid no attention to the flurry of wood chips as his crude wooden bar swung, oblivious to the emerging fissures along its length.

He didn't pay attention to his surroundings or his direction. He only saw the wild wolves in front of him, only heard his own breathing. Dan was completely unaware that as he ventured further and further, A-Lai's back was exposed to the monsters.

Swoosh, swoosh, swoosh—the dart-like copper coins seized the opportunity, intensifying their assault. With a grunt of pain, A-Lai felt a high-speed spinning copper coin monster embed itself into his back. His coarse cloth garments offered no protection as it tore through his muscles.

A-Lai nearly collapsed from the searing pain. Gritting his teeth, he knelt on one leg for support. Struggling to focus, he fought to repel the wolves and fend off the relentless assault of the copper coin monsters.

In the third-floor classroom, Little Fly's gaze was drawn to the shadows flitting past the window. He stared out nervously:"Grandpa, let's run! The rooftop must be safe!"

"Grandson, stay calm," said his grandfather, a man in his seventies who was unusually composed."As long as we guard the windows and doors, preventing the monsters from entering, we can hold out until the headmaster comes to save us!"

"Who knows if the headmaster can come?" Little Fly muttered under his breath. Although more and more gaps appeared in the windows, and copper coin demons kept pouring in, about four to five villagers, Little Fly, and another three to four students continuously piled tables and chairs against the windows, significantly slowing their entry.

Little Fly's Grandpa was slightly puzzled and habitually rubbed his nose, which turned even redder.

"These creatures look like demons. Such a large-scale attack is different from their usual sneak attacks!"

But his attention was quickly drawn to the golden-colored coins. He took out a big sack from his back and bagged the copper coins. The crackling sound of coins hitting each other made his face flush with excitement.

"We're going to be rich now, we're going to be rich," he chattered nonstop.

Ever since Little Fly could remember, he recalled his grandfather always carrying a large sack, wandering around the village and fields, considering it a loss if he didn't pick up something by the end of the day.

Another student nudged Little Fly while he was daydreaming. "Grandpa gave us the job to secure the door!"

"What's the point? Why don't we join a bigger group?" Little Fly grumbled, reluctantly shutting the door and pressing his ear against it.

There are still noisy shouts in the corridor,but no more knocking sounds or villagers passing by, and the door has not been blocked. Little Fly's eyes were still fixed on the flickering shadow outside the window, and every time he heard the piercing scream, his heartbeat accelerated to an uncontrollable extent, and his body trembled incessantly.

Little Fly muttered to himself, his voice shaking with fear. "Are we gonna make it through the night, or will those frog monsters get us? Is anyone coming to save us, or has the world forgotten about us? Do we have any hope left, or are we just doomed?"