五 || Rescue

"They aren't back yet?"  Y/N asked with a straight expression. She watched the guy as he looked through the folder cabinet. Suddenly he smiled when he found the paper he stamped earlier this morning, he seemed to be an outwardly happy guy.

Aki stood off to the side, eating his muffin whilst eavesdropping on the conversation, he had recently come from the crime scene near an abandoned house to retrieve her since he already knew what was happening. 

Cameras were great when it came to finding out where people were and public safety had them everywhere, he just wasn't expecting Y/N to be looking into where the two fiends had gone since she was already off for the day. 

"Yeah."

"Are you sure? It's already four fifteen." Y/N mumbled, scratching the back of her head. She was worried a bit because something did feel... Off before she left for the meeting. She didn't want to leave Power alone with Denji nor did she want to let them run off on some mission for cats and groping either.  

They were probably fine but at the same time, Y/N suddenly felt uncomfortable, as if something bad was happening.

"Well they did say they'd be gone for quite a while for patrolling purposes." The guy boringly replied as he handed Y/N the paper. 

Y/N quickly skimmed the paper, rereading what was written on it. She didn't understand why this guy didn't think it was suspicious that they hadn't come back.

"Did they tell you where they were going?"

"Somewhere secluded out in the country or something like that."

Y/N grimaced, realizing rather quickly that she should have told them to stay here until she got back. This was such a bad idea, the worst idea ever and it was definitely her fault. How in the world would she be able to explain this to Makima if they ended up being dead?

"But... You wrote that they were patrolling in the city instead, why?"

"Cause they asked me to." He quickly replied, rubbing his forehead before grabbing some random thing to fidget with.

Why was he so unbothered by this?

Aki raised his eyebrow, surprised that this guy was so blunt with his responses. He hadn't even met this guy before now and already he seemed really irresponsible. 

Y/N on the other hand couldn't believe it, this guy had no brain cells whatsoever. This was the dumbest lie to save a cat she had ever heard and he had actually be stupid enough to approve it? Power had been acting weird before they left too, how frustrating. 

Y/N should have known better than to allow those two to run off and she would blame herself if Denji was dead.

"So... You're telling me..." Y/N started, taking a deep breath to calm herself down so that she wouldn't smack this guy in the face. 

Aki perked up a bit when he could sense her anger towards the guy. Even though she was being quiet, it was obvious that she was pissed, though it was unusual since she had never been angry, at least as far as Aki has seen. 

"You've allowed a newly arrested blood fiend who's known to be very aggressive out of custody and take a devil hunter that's been working for about three days into a secluded country area where we never patrol unless there is a report specifically stating that there were devils around said secluded country area?"

"... Yeah." The man shrugged, grabbing some sort of pretzel from a bag and popping it in him mouth.

She just lost it.

Y/N forcefully grabbed a hold of the guys collar, scaring him and the few other people that were in the room. Aki almost dropped his muffin when he saw what she did, he had never seen her outwardly pissed by anything, she was always calm and for the most part quiet.