Marina-Mom

The Heavenly Kingdom thinks the Society will be the hardest community to invade. They're not wrong. What the Society lacks in power, they have in location. It's beautiful out here, high on this mountain. Early in the morning, fog rests at the bottom, leaving only the other mountains visible. It's surreal. Despite its beauty, it's a death trap for attackers. Try to climb it for an attack, and you'll wear yourself out before you even start getting picked off. A vehicle would have to take the twists and turns of the road to the top while getting shot at, somehow get through all the walls layered on the road, and then they'd have to watch out for any traps and ambushes along the way. The high ground gives the Society such a strategic advantage that the Heavenly Kingdom will have a hard time overcoming us here. Our only problem is the missiles.

I found a secluded spot on the wall to sit. I let my legs dangle over the edge and watch the world below me. The fall from the wall wouldn't be far enough to injure me, yet I'm nowhere near the height I'm used to. I'm higher up than I've ever been, I think. Maybe the skyscraper was taller, but I'm not sure. All I know is this is beautiful. Out here there aren't giant stone monoliths to ruin the skyline. It's only nature.

"Nice spot." Cas scares me. I didn't hear him come up, so lost in my head. I should be more mindful of my surroundings. He sits down next to me and leans to look over the edge. "It's early."

"I couldn't sleep."

He nods. "Me either."

"Did you... Need something?" We're not particularly close. I mean, I trust him with my life, but we don't talk often. We just have a shared understanding that we're part of the same group, and that means we're family. I guess he's like my... Uncle or something.

"I saw you up here and thought I'd join you." We don't talk for about a minute. We sit there, which is awkward. I don't know what to say to him, and I'm not really in the mood for any small talk. "I, uh... I know how you're feeling. I lost my family when I was young. I've lost friends, too... If you ever need anything, Emma and I are always here to help. She doesn't know I volunteered her, but despite her cold shell, she's sweet. I doubt she'd mind."

"You don't have to worry about me." They have Sam to worry about, and I'm basically an adult. I don't know that I'm ready for the responsibility that comes with it, but I don't really have a choice.

"I think Y/N would hate me if I didn't worry about you." Cas shakes his head. "I'd rather stay on his good side. Last time I was on his bad side, he threw a knife into my shoulder."

I nod. "I remember."

"You sure? You were pretty young."

"I don't remember everything, but I know it happened while you were working for... William." Sometimes, I wish I could meet my father-not-father again. Not because I want to talk to him or hug him one last time, but because I wish I could kill him myself.

"Yeah, fuck that guy." Cas sighs. "I also came up here to tell you that Emma came back to where we're staying." They're staying next door to Alice and me.

"Is..." I find myself unable to ask about Clementine. I don't know that I want to hear what he says.

"She's not dead. Not yet, anyway... No one is allowed in to see her. She's too vulnerable."

She's alive. But how alive? I doubt she's conscious. "Did Emma say anything about her other than that?" I ask.

"They've mostly got the bleeding to stop, got the bullet out of her chest, and the donor has been giving her blood. There's another lined up, too... They can't tell if anything inside is torn up, though. If something is..." She'll die. "She also needs to wake up. There's no way to feed her."