21. The Safe Haven

Sylvia found herself by a fire, in Minho's hug while Jorge worked on shaving a wood stick. Minho's heart did ache from Newt, but the best he could do was comfort his friend.

Sylvia hasn't slept for a few nights. Solemnly because everytime she closes her eyes all she could see was Newt. Thomas caught her attention as he walked down the path. Sylvia pushed herself up and walked toward him, engulfing Thomas in a hug. "Just hug me back" Sylvia mutters.

She felt Thomas' s arms wrap around her. Comfort filling her heart. Thomas let go slightly, taking account of her face. Sylvia smelled like Newt, her hair was like his, the accent. Unlike others, who would push those kind of people away. Thomas brought her closer, he kissed her.

---

"We have come a long way together. So many have sacrificed so much to make this place possible. Your friends, and your family. So here's to the ones who couldn't be here." Thomas and Sylvia weakly held up their cups along with others.

"Here's to the friends we lost. This place is for you. It's for all of us. But this, this is for them. So in your own time, in your own way. Come make your peace. And welcome to the safe haven!"

Not soon later, Minho brought her over to the rock and handed her the tool. She gave him a playful sigh before going to work. She made sure his name would stand out, and she made sure to carve it deep. Sylvia ran her hand over it as Minho watched her. Sylvia gave herself a smile.

While everyone was laughing and drinking at the bonfire, Sylvia slipped away to the beach. She felt another presence by her as she sat in the soft sand. Waves crashed infront of her, the stars shined. She looked over seeing Thomas.

Thomas wrapped his arm around her. "You okay?" He asks. Sylvia fiddled with her necklace as her eyes turned glassy. She looked to Thomas defeated. "It's okay" Thomas leaned her head onto his shoulder and held her close. Suddenly she felt something pop open in the necklace. She sat up and opened it, revealing two papers inside. With Newts handwriting.

"Dear Sylvia, this is the first letter I can remember writing. Obviously, I don't know if I wrote any before the maze. But even if it's not my first, it's likely to be my last. If you're reading this, then we found you. And I can only hope that you're safe away from W.C.K.D. I want you to know that I'm not scared. Well, not of dying, anyway. It's more like forgetting. It's loosing myself to this virus. That's what scares me. So every night I've been saying their names out loud. Alby, Winston, Chuck. And I just repeat them over and over like a prayer and it all comes flooding back. Just the little things like the way the sun used to hit the glade at that perfect moment right before it slipped beneath the walls. And I remember the taste of Frypans stew. I'd never thought I'd miss that stuff so much. And I remember you. I remember when we were young, we would go outside, run to the park, have fun. But from that moment when Thomas ran into the maze for you and Minho, I knew I would do whatever it took to protect you. And I have. We all have. If I could do it all over again, I would. And I wouldn't change a thing. And my hope for you is that when you're looking back years from now you'll be able to say the same. Before I get emotional with you shuck I want you to know the futures in your hands now little sister. And I know you'll find a way to do what's right. You always have. I don't want you to dwell on my death for too long, you deserve to be happy. Take care of everyone for me. And take care of yourself. Especially your little boyfriend. Yeah, I've noticed. Thank you for being the best sister I could ask for. Love you, Newt."

---

"The saddest moment is when the person who gave you the best memories, becomes a memory"