10. The "Good Guys"

The guards people pushed the kids out of the helicopter. Thomas on the other hand was dead asleep. "Thomas!" Sylvia yells over the loud helicopter. "Wake up! Thomas!" Sylvia shook his chest.

His eyes bolted open. "Thomas! We gotta go! Get up!" Once Sylvia saw Thomas slide to his feet she ran to the building. She caught up to Newt as the group of Gladers stood in a warehouse.

---

They got put into a room with food on the table. After they all devoured it and had a tiny food fight everyone sat down waiting to see what happened next.

Sylvia, Newt, Thomas, and Frypan sat on some sacks. "We're sure we can trust these people right?" Sylvia asks wearily.

"We'll see." Thomas answers. "At least they gave us some bloody food. That was delicious" Newt chuckles. "More delicious than my cooking?" Fry asks.

"No, obviously not." Sylvia sarcastically grins. After a while they finally opened the doors. Everyone shot up and walked over. There was a very formal and clean looking man standing by the door. "You kids doing alright?"

Sylvia and Minho slipped their packs on. "Sorry about all the fuss. We had ourselves a bit of a swarm."

"Who are you?"

"I'm the reason you're all still alive" Sylvia and Minho share a glance. Cocky much?

"It's my intention to keep you that way. Now, come with me. We'll get you kids squared away."

They followed the guy through the building. "You can call me Mr. Janson, I run this place. For us it is a sanctuary, safe from the horrors of the outside world. You all should think of it as a way station. Kind of a home between homes. Watch yourself"

The guy led the kids through construction areas. "That mean you're taking us home?"

"A home of sorts. Sadly, there wouldn't be much left of wherever you came from. But we do have a place for you. A refuge, outside the Scorch. Where WICKED will never find you again. How does that sound?"

"Sounds too good to be true" Sylvia answers. "Why are you helping us?" Minho asks.

"Let's just say the world out there is in a rather precarious situation. We're all hanging in by a very thin thread. The fact that you kids can survive the Flare virus makes you the best chance of humanity's continued survival. Unfortunately it also makes you a target. As no doubt by now you've noticed. Beyond this door, lies the beginning of your new lives. First things first, let's do something about that smell"

Janson opened a door to a long corridor. Sylvia scrunched her face up giving him a look. Janson brought the boys to showers as Sylvia got separated into her own.

Sylvia quickly cleaned off. She stared at herself through the mirror. This was not what she expected herself to look like. She looked like Newt in a way. Her blonde hair fell down to mid back. And she had bangs, swept to the side. Giving a nice swoosh when let down.

Sylvia brushed her fingers through her hair. Mesmerized by the smooth gliding. Sylvia opened the draws to the sink. Finding all kind of supplies. She remembered these. Hair ties, rubber bands, hair brushes.

Sylvia got to work, always wanting to style her hair. But back at the glade she really couldn't since her hair was always knotted. Sylvia put small braids around her hair. And she made sure to steal some hair ties before leaving the bathroom.

The people brought her to a room. Looked like a med bay. They inserted some liquid into her. Claiming it was vitamins. And then she hopped onto a treadmill next to Minho. They ran as the doctors examined their heartbeat.

Sylvia noticed a man pulling Thomas out of the room. She and Minho looked at him wearily before brushing it aside.

---

The Gladers sat at a table eating while they talked to other maze people. "There was this big loud explosion"

Thomas sat down in between Sylvia and Minho. "What about the rest? The other people left behind at the maze what happened to them?" Newt asks the guy.

"I don't know. I guess WICKED still has them."

"How long you guys been here?" Sylvia asks. "No long. Just a day or two. That kid over there has been here the longest" he looks over to a kid with his hood on. Sitting alone at a table. "Almost a week."

"His maze was nothing but girls" the other guy adds. "Really?"

"Some guys have all the luck."

"Yeah and some poor souls don't." Sylvia says. Minho smacks her arm as they all give her a look. "I'm joking. Joking promise. Love you guys." Sylvia held up her hands in fake defense as everyone chuckled.

"Good evening gentlemen, ladies. You all know how this works. If you hear your name called, please rise in an orderly fashion and join my colleagues behind me where they will escort you to the eastern wing. Your new lives are about it begin."

The guy proceeded to call out some names. None Sylvia knew. "Where they going?"

"Far from here. Lucky bastards."

"Some kind of farm. A safe place. They can only take in a couple of people at a time." Sylvia nods poking at her food before looking up and the window. "Hey, is that Teresa?" She asks, her accent coming out a little too thick.

"What the hell." Thomas mutters. "Hey Teresa!" He calls out. The guards stop him from going through the doors. Sylvia furrows her eyebrows. Thomas sure got up quickly when she said her name.

---

The guards took them to a dorm room. "Oh, I call top bunk!" Fry exclaims. Before Minho jumped up. "Too slow."

"I could get used to this." Winston sighs laying on a bed. "Yeah it's not bad"

Sylvia turns around. Due to the door locking. "And they just locked us in here. Great." Sylvia sighs. "What do you think those guys want with Teresa?"

"Look. If there's one thing I know about that girl. Is she can take care of herself. Don't worry about it."

Sylvia chucks her pack she hid from the guards onto a top bunk. She also unstrapped her katanas hiding behind her back. Sylvia lifted her shirt slightly revealing 5-6 tiny swords strapped to her belt. "Jesus, what're you preparing for a war?" Winston chuckled. "You never know." She grins back.

Sylvia sat on a table in the middle of the room. Thomas was washing his face off as everyone was asleep. "Am I the only one with a bad feeling?" Sylvia whispers as she swung her legs. "Trust me. You're not" Thomas answers. "Come on, get some sleep" Thomas puts a hand on her back as she hops down from the table. "Night Tommy."

"Night Sylvy." Thomas smirks to his leg at the nickname. Sylvia flashes a smile before climbing up to her bunk.