05. A Night In the Maze

Sylvia, Minho and Alby were running the maze today. Newt stood infront of them saying goodbyes as the maze doors opened. "Be safe" he hugs Sylvia. "I always am" she smiles.

---

The three ran through the maze for hours. Even when it started pouring. "Have far could Ben have gone?" Sylvia pants. "Surprisingly very far" Minho answers. Sylvia turns around for Alby's answer. To her surprise he wasn't behind them. "Alby? Where's he? Alby!" Sylvia screams. No reply. Minho and Sylvia ran back to where they came from. Hoping since Alby wasn't quite as fast as them he fallen behind. He wasn't there.

"Alby! Come on man. Where are you!" Minho yells. Suddenly, they heard clanking of robot grievers. "Shit." They both hissed. They put there back against the wall trying to stay silent. Soon the clanking got further and further away. The griever left. "Let's go."

"Alby! Alby!" They repeated running around. Soon enough they found him, but not the way they wanted to.

---

{Thomas}

A group of boy stood under some shelter as they all stared at the maze. It was pouring and the three haven't came back yet. "They should be back by now. What happens if they don't make it" Thomas asks Newt.

"They're gonna make it"

"What happens if they don't?"

"They're gonna make it"

Newt was always a good one at hiding his emotions. But Thomas knew he was worried.

The rain stopped and all the boys stood infront of the maze. Anxiously watching for the three who ran the maze. The maze rumbled, signaling it was about to close. "Come on, guys, can't we send someone after them?"

"That's against the rules. It's either they make it back or they don't." Gally answers.

"Can't risk losing anyone else." Newt adds. The gust of wind and dirt blew. The maze started closing. "Oh no." Chuck mutters.

"Guys, aren't they your 3 most important people, just let me through I can find them"

"It's too late man. Don't you see? The doors are closing" everyone sighs.

"There!" Thomas pointed to Sylvia and Minho. "Wait no something's wrong." Newt says.

Sylvia and Minho had a very heavy Alby in between their arms. They groaned as they tried to go as fast as they can. "Come on guys you can do it!" Chuck yells.

Sylvia and Minho let Alby drop to the floor. They both grabbed a leg and started pulling. They were no where close to the door. Sylvia pulled as hard as she could locking eyes with Newt. "They're not going to make it." He mutters.

Sylvia fell to her knees in exhaustion. She looked at the closed maze doors. And then at a boy in a blue shirt. "Thomas?"

"Good job. You just killed yourself" Minho pants sitting down. "Wait what?"

Thomas stumbles over to Alby. "What happened to him?" Thomas asks the two runners who were still panting sitting down. "What does it look like? He got stung." Minho answers.

"What happened to his head?"

"He did what he had to do" Sylvia answers. In the distance a griever screeched. Sylvia and Minho winced as they got up. Sylvia's legs feeling like jelly. "Uh. Okay all right, help me get him up."

Minho started walking away as Sylvia contemplated what to do. "We gotta go the maze is already changing."

"Minho." Sylvia calls out causing him to stop. "We can't just leave him here" Thomas adds. Sylvia and Minho got ahold of his arms as Thomas propped his legs up.