Chapter 16

Anu looked on as Ridhaan went about with his business. It has been two weeks to the day and Ridhaan was still not giving face to her.

Even when they had been far away, the distance did not diminish their bond but one incident seems to have  shaken their very foundation.

A lone tear fell from Anu's eyes as her heart clenched in pain.

She was ready to take his anger, dissappointment, complaint but not this ignorance. It hurt more than anything she imagined.

In a way , it was karma hitting her. Years back, in her attempt to protect herself , she had distanced herself from Ridhaan, never once thinking how it will pain her Ridhu.

Then, he neither knew her reason nor was he with family, still he bore the punishment silently but now,even when surrounded by family, she was breaking from within. She was not able to digest the distance, fully knowing she was at fault.

" Bye Champ...."

" Bye Popeye....come back soon..."

" Of course....my darling..."

Seeing him interacting with her son was giving her agony on another level.

Even when he is miffed with her, not even once he let it come between his and Raunak's relationship or let him be aware of the tension brewing between the elders.

Their relationship may have started with Raunak being her son but now she can say with absolute surety that Raunak holds a special place in Ridhaan's heart which is irreplaceable. 

So Anu doesn't want to degrade their relationship by being thankful because she know for a fact that Ridhaan's relationship with his Champ is not dependent on her.

He will always be Ridhaan's priority , come what may happen to their relation in future.

Gulping down the tears, she watched Ridhaan drive away with a  wave to her son. She stood there, by the window, till the car reduced to a speck in the distance. Then releasing a defeated sigh, she returned to her room.

Her room was always Anu's haven but today her heart couldn't find the peace it craved.

Each and each moments of their past began to swirl in front of her eyes.

With the sweet memories, a smile automatically bloomed on her lips but it soon lost it's shine as the bitter memories came knocking.

The pain was so huge that she lost the strength and fell down on her knees, covering her mouth with palms, trying to keep her sobs within.

The longer she tried, harder it was getting. Before long, she was on the verge of a panic attack.

With difficulty,Anu then got up to get a glass of water but it was becoming a tedious task with her shaking hands.

Suddenly, the glass slipped from her hands.

But before it could hit the ground, a pair of hands caught it.

" Anu.....Anu....Anu..."

Lost in her anguish, she didn't realize his presence.

" ANU...ANU...."

Ridhaan was continuously calling out in concern. Her unresponsiveness, scaring the hell out of him.

Without wasting time, he prompted her to have the water.

As she began sipping, it brought temporary relief to him and a chance for him to study her.

It has been two weeks that Ridhaan had really looked at his Anu. After the day, he had consciously avoided her, not because he was angry at her but because he was trying to protect his already bruised heart.

Ridhaan never in his dreams thought a day would come where he would turn away from his Anu.

From the corner of his eyes, he had noticed how his actions affected her but he was helpless in front of his heart. But seeing his Anu in pain was only adding up his agony.

In all this messed up situation,the only relief for him was his Champ. If not for him, it would not have taken long before he shattered completely.

Today also he was steering clear of her if not for the file he left behind.

It was only by accident that he heard the sound of sniffling as he passed Anu's room on the way to his .

Against his better judgement, he entered the room to witness a scene that terrified him to his core.

The moment he saw Anu's condition, all his hurt, dejection, pain disappeared with a snap of a finger.

Ridhaan had immediately pulled Anu into his arms while placing the glass of water on her lips and continued caressing her back as she navigated through her sobs.

The moment she became aware of her surroundings, Anu realized she was in her Ridhu's arms.

Her eyes welled up again and she flung herself into his embrace.

"I...am..so...sorry...Ridhu....ple...ase for..forgive....me....Pu..nish me...be..angr..angry....at me but....do..don't....ever lea...ve... me....Don..don't....leav...e....me...." Anu whimpered .

Ridhaan looked at her appalled. His own eyes brimmed up seeing her state.

"I ...can...be..ar....anyth..ing..but...not..your..ha...hatred...."

More than the words it was the forlorn look in her eyes that stabbed his heart.

" Never Anu....never ever..." Ridhaan promised, not giving thought to anything or anyone but just the person in his arms.

Her tears were tearing him apart but he tried to keep himself in check for her.

In that instant, he realized that in trying to protect himself, he was harming his love's heart.

He felt ashamed and guilty.

How could he claim to love her and then give her this unparalleled pain?

How could his love turn conditional ?

When did he turn selfish?

While he became lost in these thoughts, Anu finally found her lost serenity hearing his solemn promise.

She slept peacefully , tired after the rollercoaster ride but still holding tightly onto his shirt as if she feared him disappearing.

Ridhaan looked down at the sleeping Anu in his arms, gingerly wiping away the remnants of the tears clinging onto her lashes.

They need to talk,  he acknowledged.  Though distance have been created between them, it was not that big to break their pious bond.

But he also stoned his heart to accept that maybe he was mistaken....maybe his Anu's heart will never beat for him the same way his does....

Though that single thought was hurting his every pore, he was determined to never allow Anu to go through another anguish.

She has already been through enough.

If not as her love, he will always stand by her as her BEST FRIEND....