Chapter 4

"Annnnuuu" screaming like a banshee , Ridhaan rushed into her room with a bang.

" Don't you have any shame, Ridhu. How can you barge into a girl's room without knocking"

"What girl?"

Anu whacked him hard seeing him looking here and there for the girl .

"Ouch...it hurt...."

"Good...now tell me why you are here now, you have gone to meet the girl right?"

" Where is Champ?"  he instead asked while making himself comfortable on the bed.

Anu sighed exasperated,  even though she knows fully that Ridhaan is not trying to change the conversation but is genuinely asking for him, she couldnt resist the frustration bubbling inside.

In the past 3 months, they have become so close that no one would think that they are meeting for the first time. 

Ridhaan was unknowingly fulfilling the empty void of a male presence in Raunak's life and he was  lapping it up.

On one side it was really endearing but on the other it is generating a slight fear in her.

So when Ma brought up the topic of Ridhaan's marriage,  she was all for it and for the past month he had been going to meet different girls but in vain.

"Why? So that you can use him to break this alliance too"

Ridhaan looked up to an angry Anu. Then with a nervous chuckle, he asked as innocently as possible

" What do you mean?"

" Don't Ridhu . I know what happened at the last meeting . Your Champ was explicit while sharing the details"

"What did I do? I just told her that Champ is an important part of my life and will be my priority and that she should always make way for him. It is not my fault that she misconstrued everything. By the way, it's good it happened. In whatever way I may have said, what I said was the absolute truth. Champ is my priority and whoever steps in my life has to know that"

She dont know what to feel at this genuine declaration. It was making everything difficult for Anu. For a moment, she thought of telling him her past but then sanity prevailed. In relieving herself of pain, she can't dump it on him.

"Hello , where you lost?" Ridhaan asked while waving his hands in front of her face.

"Nothing..." she brushed it off and continued,  " But you didn't answer my question. Why you are here rather than..."

"That's exactly why I am here . I need your help"

"Ridhaan.."

He stopped on his way out listening to his ma.

"I have set up a meeting with a girl...."

"Ma, not today....I have a lot lined up ....I have an interview..."

"I know that is why I set up your meeting at the same restaurant. Please Ridhaan , don't say no"

" Ok ma...when did I ever say no to you"

But as Ridhaan said , the day was really hectic and he was also in an emergency situation to hire the best of the best as his pa.

By the time he reached the restaurant,  his second in command had everything ready.

" Sir, her name is Anoushka and rest of the details are in the file. She is waiting for you at Table no.5"

"Thanks, Pranay"

Ridhaan made way to the table so that he can finish off the interview sooner and then he can complete his mother's request.

"Ms. Anoushka?"

Ridhaan asked as he reached the table. It bemused him to find the girl pretty dressed up just for an interview.

" Yes and I...."

" Let's cut to the chase. I am pretty busy today. I have read your resume and am really impressed with your qualifications.  But I have ample experience to know that what may be good in paper may not be so in reality"

Seeing the perplexed look on her face, he clarified

" I think we should have a trial run for at least a month. By the time we will be able to know if we are a good fit"

"Tr..ial...Ru..n...What...do..you..
mean?" she stammered out in shock

"It's pretty simple. We will check for compatability in every single area and also you have to be at my beck and call 24/7"

"What!" she screamed outraged

"Why are you surprised? It is normal nowadays. I don't even buy shoes without trying and here it is an important decision of my life, did you think I will take it rashly without testing....."

Before he could complete, he was drenched in water.

He looked up to her glaring face confused.

" I knew you have been abroad for a long time and maybe it is the norm there but it is not here. I am modern but not this much that I forget my culture. Shame on you for objectifying women like this."
Saying this she walked away angrily while Ridhaan sat still perplexed , not understanding what happened.

That is when Pranay  rushed to his aide,

" Sir,  Because of having the same name, there was a mix up. The girl for the interview is at Table 12 "

"So whom did I meet now?"

"The girl your mother set you up with"

"Ha..ha...ha....ha...ha..."

"Can you just stop laughing? It is not that funny"

"You are right, it is not that funny but hilarious....ha....ha....ha"

"Anu...." he whined

"Ok ...Ok....but what do you need my help with" she asked genuinely

" To pacify the grizzly bear...."

"What!"

"I am 💯 %sure Ma will think that I have done this purposefully.  Please help me to convince her" he pleaded with joined hands and puppy dog eyes.

Letting out a sigh, Anu agreed. She was always putty in front of his puppy dog eyes.

"It will not be easy, Ridhu considering your track record"

"RIDHAAN...."

Both of them stared wide eyed at each other, in fear, at Priya's yell.

The anger in her voice,evidence to the imminent uproar....