Chapter 2

"May I join?"

Anu who was enjoying the calm in the dark night, turned to see a smiling Ridhaan 

"When did you become such a gentleman? Asking permission and all..." she teased as she made space for him

"I am always a gentleman....Nowadays, no one appreciates goodness" Ridhaan retorted with indignation

Seeing his irritation, Anu laughed out loud.

"Oh my God, Ridhu. You are just the same. Who will say that now you are one of the top business man of the world. It's still so easy to ruffle your feathers" Anu said while having the remnants of a smile on her face .

Seeing the glimpse of her old self, Ridhaan couldn't stop the words that left his lips

"You look good with a smile, Anu"

His sudden declaration dimmed the sparkle which was there a few minutes ago.

"You must be tired. We will talk in the morning " she said in a subdued manner and  got up to leave but was stopped in her tracks by his next words.

"Still running away...."

Anu stood there transfixed but did not turn back. There was suddenly an unknown tension in the atmosphere.

She did not have the  courage to face the accusation in his eyes. He asked if she was running away, maybe she was....from the past 10 years.

" What happened to us ,Anu? We are best friends but why do I feel like my Anu has changed?"

"It's been 7 years Ridhu....everyone changes" she replied

"But I didn't...."

Catching her by the shoulders he turned her towards himself. Then looking straight into her eyes , he asked

"What happened to the promise that you made, that nothing will ever change between us? What happened to my Anu who used to share the silliest of the silly thing with me?What happened that even being with me, I feel like I lost you?"

Her breathe hitched the moment she looked into his eyes. More than the anger it was the hurt that was breaking her apart.

He was right, she has changed. Knowingly,  she has stepped back a little to prevent her Ridhu from getting hurt. She had tried her best to not let him know but one look at him and she knew she failed miserably.

She never once regretted the decision she took but if life gave her second chance, she would surely ensure that Ridhu is never caught in the cross hairs.

"Sorry....." she whispered helplessly

With a chuckle , he left her shoulders

"When did these words began taking place in our relationship?" he asked derisively

He waited for her answer but she remained silent and her silence was making him more agitated.

Running his fingers through his hair, he took a calming breathe.  Staring at her downcast eyes, he realized maybe this was the not the time to discuss these things.

Though he was aware of the situation, seeing it in front was a smack on his face . Never a patient guy, he couldn't control his emotions and blurted out his disappointment.

" For you maybe the relationship changed but for me it is still the same. So I WON'T  apologize for what happened  but I recognize this is neither the right time nor the right place"

He will admit that there was a taunt in his statement but his hurt did not allow him to feel guilty over it.

Smiling sardonically at his words, Anu looked at him. She could understand his hurt but she wondered whether she ever be able to help him in getting rid of it. She was actually scared that instead of removing the hurt, she may inflict upon more pain from which he may never recover.

Ridhaan had an idea that there was more to what meets his eye but he didn't want to pry. He wants his Anu to confide in him like she used to. He hoped with all that is in him that she will do so before his patience runs out.

" Good night ,  Ridhu" With a sad smile she started leaving.

He closed his eyes in exasperation on seeing that smile which was in total contradiction to the one that previously adorned her face.

Mentally cursing himself , he spoke before she left

" I want to meet him"

Hearing him she gulped down her nervousness as she understood whom he meant .

"You can't stop me from meeting him" he asserted in a raised voice.

Hurt flashed across her face on his comment but masking it she replied in a stiff voice

" I never meant to. You have full right to meet him and so does he. You will be seeing him tomorrow as it's too late in the night"

Before he could ask or say anything else, she left. Then only Ridhaan realized how his comment may have been perceived.

Palming his face, he accepted the blunder of his statement. In his frustration, what should have been a request came out as an accusation.

He sat down dejected. Few hours before, he vowed that he will bring back her smile and now he himself wounded her.

"Ridhaan"

"Ma...."

Seeing his mother, he wrapped his arm around her midriff and began sobbing like a baby.

"Ssshhh....Ridhaan....."

"I hurt her, Ma. I didn't mean to but...."

"Beta, I know....Anu's Ridhu could never hurt her but I also know both of you are hiding lot of unsaid emotions which needs to come out. Calmly and PATIENTLY listen to each other.....She really needs her Ridhu, Beta and only you can heal her. For that you will have to gather a lot of strength which only your Anu could give..... You both need each other..... Don't let the past hurt drag you away from each other"

Though Priya's words sounded practical, it also caused an unwanted anxiety in Ridhaan

"Ma, is there anything else that I need to be aware of?"

Priya stiffened on his question but nevertheless replied.

"Yes but it is not my story to tell . It is Anu's . Let her tell you at her own pace. Anu has always been patient with you, this time it is your turn . You need to be patient till she is ready to open up....Till she becomes Ridhu's Anu"

"What if she never becomes Ridhu's Anu?" he spoke out his fear.

His words invoked a memory in Priya. 10 years back Ridhaan was afraid of the same thing. At that time, Priya was able to calm him but now even she is skeptical. But she has decided to keep her faith and focus on the positive rather than the negative.

"Your Anu has always been there.  Maybe she is now in a deep slumber..... Wake her up..... and I know only my Ridhaan can do it.....Relationships are as tricky as it is simple. If not taken care of properly, the dust of misunderstandings accumulates over it too. We just have to be patient and straighten it out"

With these inspiring words from his mother, Ridhaan got ready for the new day to get back his best friend.