Chapter 13

Mayu did not think Kenta would go up to Darius to tell him that; she was just about to go over and separate the two when Darius agreed. "They are my family now. I will protect them as well." He told Kenta that there was a sudden agreement between the two as if they could pass messages amongst each other.

Mayu found that dinner that day was enjoyable, she had to enter Darius into the same school, but there were still two weeks before it was time for them to return. She then had to start on another new book since she had spent much time on vacation and giving away her money. Darius, Yuna, and Kenta all went out to the forest to play for a bit. Suzu always remained at home with her, but the little one always wanted to watch the TV show that popped up. 'I know there is going to be a lot that I have to go through with these kids, but they are finally changing my fate.' Thinking about it, she stretched her back after writing for some time. 'I wonder how these kids will appear.' Looking outside the window, she saw the three children having fun with Kenta's wolf with a smile on her face. 'I really wonder.'

***

Christmas day...

It was Christmas Day, Mayu had all the presents placed under the tree the day ahead and lied that there was Santa, and she planned to keep things there until they were much older. "Presents!" Yuna shouted, running down ahead while her brothers followed behind. Kenta carried Suzu in his arms, walking alongside Darius, who had bed hair.
" Each of you has a present. Come and have a seat on the couch." She smiled, letting them each settle down before handing them a gift. "Each of you has a present, so I hope you all like it. Darius, I got you a present too." She placed his present before him, hoping he would like the gift.

Darius was a little surprised to see that he had received a present; his eyes narrowed slightly since it was strange for him to receive such a present. "T-Thank you." He told her.

"Alright, all of you can open your presents," Mayu told them, seeing them all reach down to open their presents. Then, helping Suzu open her present, she could hear all of them gasping.

"Aunt Mayu!" Kenta ran, hugging Mayu as she knew that he would love it. "Thank you!" In his arms, Kenta held two portraits.

"Of course. Kenta is my family now, so I have to give him something special that he would never want to forget." Mayu had looked into finding Kenta's real family, coming across only the burnt territory and a portrait she took to fix. The second portrait was their family now, including Darius, which she took when they all went out to play.

Yuna hugged a few artistic items in her hands with a bag that belonged to her for her brushes and pens. "Thank you!" She shouted, hugging Mayu soon after.

Mayu knew that Yuna loved working with her hands on artwork; she had figured that Yuna would want something like that for Christmas. Suzu received a plushie, one of her favorite animated characters in the TV show, and one could tell she fell in love immediately with it. The only one left was Darius; she worried he would not like what she gave him.

Darius peeled the wrapping off, slightly surprised by what was gifted to him. Taking out the gift, it was a necklace made of silver with a red emerald stone in the center that had his name at the center.

"Darius, I didn't know what to gift you, so I had an emerald necklace with your name. I hope that it is to your liking." Mayu worried he might not like it since most children would get something they wanted.

"I like it." Darius had the necklace placed around his neck, his face didn't say it, but he did love it. "It is better than no gift. I never had a gift before, but I have always seen everyone get one."

Hearing that, Mayu held a small smile and hugged the young boy receiving his first gift. "Merry Christmas, Darius." She whispered to him during the hug.

"Merry Christmas, Aunt Mayu," Darius whispered back, hugging her at the same time with a smile on his face and knowing that things were going to get better from this day on since he did not have to stay with the one woman who was supposed to protect him as a mother. 'I only need my family now. I won't let anyone hurt them.' He understood why Kenta was so keen on protecting everyone there.

"Alright, I have some hot chocolate for you all. Let's go ahead and have something warm to drink and then watch a Christmas movie. Sounds good?" She had gotten up, clapping her hands once to tell them all.

"Yeah!!!" Yuna and Suzu shouted while the boys smiled and nodded since they had nothing better to do.

Mayu prepared everything, handing them the hot chocolate as she played a movie for all of them. Then, watching them all drink it slowly, the film played out as they all sat on the couch with the fireplace lit. Spending Christmas Eve together soon after, they would have never thought to have this kind of life that became better for them.

Seeing the two young girls and Kenta sound asleep after the movie ended, Mayu carried one at a time when Darius took Yuna and Suzu into his arms like they were nothing. "I can take these two. Go ahead and get Kenta. They are tired now."

Mayu smiled, carrying Kenta, more extensive and heavier than the other two. Tucking each of them into bed, she kissed each of their heads. Then, seeing Darius still in the doorway, she kissed his head. "You should head to bed now. You've helped me a lot already." She sweetly smiled at him.

"Aunt Mayu, I didn't get you anything for Christmas. I wish I were rich enough to buy you something you would love." He told her.

Mayu knew he would say that since he wasn't the only one because Yuna and Kenta attempted to go out and buy her something for Christmas but nearly got kidnapped. "You don't need to buy me anything. As long as you and your siblings grow up, succeed, and have a happy future, it is enough of a gift to me."

Darius wanted to do something for her; he stared back at her. "Can aunt let me care for her when I am older?!" He asked.

Mayu didn't understand what he could be referring to, but she smiled.

"Alright, be sure to be successful then. Aunt isn't always going to want to work so hard in her life. She likes to relax too." She told Darius, who held a bright smile and nodded.