37. Something Rotten Inside

"I just don't know what to do," Hoseok groaned, burrowing his head into Taehyung's stomach and trying not to sob. Still covered in drying sweat and now wracked with fresh waves of guilt, Hoseok felt disgusting, inside and out. "He thinks I'm ashamedof him, why would he think that? It's all my fucking fault, and I know you keep saying it's not but it wasmy fault we left the house that day, and I'm not fucking stupid,I know how cause and effect work—and he sayshe's not angry but he still shouted so I know he isand I don't know if he'll ever forgive me and—"

"Shh," Taehyung interrupted, carding his fingers through Hoseok's damp hair. "Deep breaths. It's going to be okay, I promise. You'll work this out soon enough. For right now, let's just get you cleaned up, yeah? Go ahead and take off your clothes, I'll get the shower running."

Hoseok shook his head, pulling away from the embrace to wipe his eyes so his tears wouldn't fall. "N-no, I should...I can do it myself—"

"I know you can," Taehyung agreed, "but you don't have to." He hooked a finger under Hoseok's chin and tilted his head up, bending down for a kiss and maintaining eye contact afterward. "Let me help you." His tone was gentle but laced with a surprising amount of authority that left little room for argument.

"But I...I'm older." Hoseok didn't play the age card often, but he felt so weak making anyone do anything for him, especially someone two years his junior. He knew there was really no point in protesting—once Taehyung made up his mind about something that he thought would help someone else, he didn't often take 'no' for an answer—but that wouldn't stop Hoseok from trying.

"Oh, really? I forgot," Taehyung sassed. Brat.

"You've been taking care of me so much lately, but you shouldn't have to. I should be the one—"

Taehyung cut him off. "Do I look like I need taking care of right now?"

Hoseok scanned Taehyung's face for any sign of distress and, shamefully, was almost disappointed to find none. Then again, he knew, Taehyung was in his element. Helping people had always been something Taehyung was good at, even if he didn't know how to help himself.

Hoseok shook his head.

"Exactly. I'm fine. So just let me do this for you," Taehyung insisted.

Hoseok closed his eyes, resting his elbows on his knees and letting his head fall into his hands. Meanwhile, Taehyung started the shower and waited for the water to heat up. Soon enough, the air in the bathroom became humid, the steam clinging to Hoseok's already clammy skin.

"Is this hot enough?" Taehyung asked, holding one hand under the shower head.

Hoseok stood up and stuck his fingers into the stream, but he quickly pulled back with a yelp, frantically shaking his hand up and down. "Holy shit, ow!"

"What? What's wrong?" Taehyung asked, his eyes blowing almost comically wide with panic.

"How the hell have you had your hand under the water this long? Have you been bathing in lava? Good lord, man!"

Taehyung blinked, an easy smile melting across his face. "I don't know. I thought it was a comfortable temperature," he said with a shrug. "I mean, they say lonelier people take hotter showers to compensate for the lack of human warmth, but I don't know if I believe that."

"Well that's one of the most depressing things I've heard all day. Are you okay?" Hoseok said with a frown.

Taehyung let out a barking laugh that reverberated extra loudly between the linoleum-covered walls. "Yeah, I'm fine. We can talk some more about this after you get in the shower. If Jin doesn't call us to dinner first, I'll be in your room."