xvi.

- - - - - -

- - - - - -

Scott withdrew his claws from the back of his friends' heads, splattering the ground with blood. With a gasp, he stumbled backwards, felt two pairs of strong arms grab him. Lydia went rigid where she sat on the bed next to Stiles, who was still passed out. The lightning marks, though, had disappeared.

"Did it work?!" Scott cried. Everyone watched Stiles but kept their distance, scared of getting too close.

It was evident that while they had brought Stiles back into his own mind, since the marks were gone, he was still under. Deep. His breaths, still smelling like Adderall, were dragged slowly in and out of his chest; his heart beating weakly to catch up.

"What do we do now?" Kira asked, turning to Peter. "We only have a few hours left until my mother will come for him."

Peter stroked his chin and shook his head, clicking his tongue. "I'm not sure. Give him the bite, I guess. Change the host, like you said."

He made to grab for Stiles' arm, but Scott roared and lunged forwards, knocking him out of the way.

"Don't touch him!" he snarled, feeling his claws lengthen. His eyes flashed red, and Peter took a step back.

"We figured some things out while we were in there," Lydia said. "It's a lot to explain, but we don't have to give him the bite to change his form. We have a backup plan, but first we need to find something that is special to him. A little object, something his mom would have given him."

"How the hell are we supposed to find that, Lydia?" Aiden sneered. "That could be hundreds of---"

"I know of something," the sheriff said quietly from where he had been standing several feet away. Seeing his son having a full-body convulsion had scared the living daylights out of him, and he wasn't ready to let him out of his sight. "Who drove the jeep last?"

Scott raised his hand, and the sheriff gestured for him to empty his pockets. As soon as he pulled the key out, Noah snatched it from his hand and gave it to Lydia.

"Is this it?"

Lydia turned the key over and over, holding it up to her eyes, but she shook her head.

"I don't know much about kitsunes." She turned to Kira and handed her the key. "Would this be something that a kitsune would manifest their powers in?"

Kira gawked. "I--I don't know! How should I know?"

"Because you are one, dumbass," Aiden snapped, snatching the key from her. "There's only one way to find out." He took it between two fingers and, despite everyone's loud shouts of protest, tried to snap it in two.