The Lesson

We were organizing our things after we have transferred to a new house when I saw some of the medals and ribbons of which I have actually kept since kindergarten. I seem to have separately kept my graduation medals and ribbons as from what I've found, some of it were awarded on recognition days since my 4th Grade in elementary until my third year in high school while some were won from various academic contests I had. They were well organized from the oldest ones to the most recent. Some were with markings indicating the contest I joined, the rank I got, my grade level then, and even dates when I had received them.

Seeing all of these, it reminded me of everything I have achieved growing up and all these years, actually. But God has taught and changed me in the most painful and saddest way possible. From being someone who used to be so passionate about achieving a lot of things and someone so full of big dreams, now all I can see is a version of me who had completely lost all the desires over every single thing this world has to offer.

Life's turn of events has harshly showed me that no matter what I gain in this world, I will one day leave all of them anyway. And that no matter how I work for my dreams in this world, I may not eventually have them fulfilled anyway –because we never take a hold of our lives here anyway.

The fact is: when it's finally my time, all these awards and the years I spent achieving my every dream in mind, they won't really matter.

So if there's one thing I learned in life, that is to not put my heart on things in this world, and to dream differently is another.

- My Christian Notes

Related Bible verses:

"For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."

- Matthew 6:21

"Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever."

- 1 John 2:15-17