Chapter 1

"The best portion of a good man's life is his little nameless, unencumbered acts of kindness and of love." — Wordsworth

****************

JABI ROAD KADUNA
Jalila...
Bang! Bang!" The loud knocking on my door made me jolt awake, my heart racing. "They're surely trying to break down the door!" I thought, groggily.

"Jalila," I heard my sister's voice echo, making me groan. What did she want at this ungodly hour? "Aunty Yesmeen," I mumbled, my eyes barely open. "I'm coming," I exclaimed, making sure my voice didn't slur. Getting locked in a room is a real problem in this house. A wedding meant early wake-up calls, and my cousin's big day was no exception. But as a self-proclaimed bed potato, I prioritized sleep above all else.

"As you refuse to wake up and take a bath, you'll be going on a tricycle!" my sister's parting words trailed off as she disappeared from the doorway.

"Ya Allah!" I groaned, summoning the courage to rise from bed. I shuffled towards the bathroom, gazing at my reflection, and took a deep breath. I washed my face, brushed my teeth, and patted my face dry with a towel before emerging.

After unplugging my phone from the charger, I scanned it for any missed calls or messages, but there were none. I placed it on my bed and walked out of my room. My sister sat elegantly in the armchair, engrossed in her phone, looking stunning in her abaya and veil. The car keys beside her signaled that they are waiting for me.

"Good morning, Aunty Yesmeen," I greeted, forcing a warm smile onto my face, but she didn't even acknowledge me.

Kinci ubanki, Jalila! Don't you know we're waiting for you?" my mother scolded, her voice firm but impatient. "You're 23 years old, yet you still behave like a toddler! Go get your hijab, let's go!"

I pouted, feeling a bit defensive. "Ummi, but I haven't even taken my bath yet, and it's still so early..." I trailed off, knowing my protest would likely fall on deaf ears.

I walked back to my room and slipped into my jalbab hijab over my sleeping clothes, knowing we have a busy day ahead. First, a trip to the salon, followed by going to my cousin's house atYakubu Avenue, where I would get dressed for the day. I slid into my pink Crocs shoes, grabbed my handbag , and headed out the door. I stopped by the fridge to grab a cold Coke and a hotdog, leftovers from breakfast, and thanked Allah that it's Saturday - a break from my NYSC service at the camp, which isn't easy at all.

As we headed towards the parking space, I noticed my brother ya Hamad  has already left for the gym, no doubt to pump iron and build his physique - something I didn't quite understand. I settled into the back seat, and we drove out of the gate once the gate man opened it. I pulled out my phone and snapped a quick photo of my snacks,sending streaks with the caption, "Who else had snacks for breakfast?"

After spending hours at the salon getting our hair washed and braided, we headed to my cousin's house. We have called the tailor to bring our clothes, and after parking the car, I walked straight to my cousin's room, where Mamah is staying. The house is chaotic, with last-minute wedding preparations underway for my cousin's sister, Aunty Bilkisu. However, Mamah preferred to stay alone in her room, even though she's a chatterbox. She's curled up in her duvet, engrossed in a phone call, speaking in a low voice. I removed my hijab and settled beside her.

I've never been one for boyfriend drama; I can be friends with them, but I don't do relationships. I had a bad experience with my ex, Nazifi, who wasn't loyal and later apologized for not feeling the same way. The trauma I went through is unexplainable. "You're making calls, stand up, please!" I said, reminding her that we have a schedule to keep. "Did you forget we have a makeup studio appointment for the kamu event?" I asked, glancing at the time.

"She ended the call and turned to me, 'Jalila, you've just arrived and already you're trying to disrupt my peaceful life? Allow me to rest,' she said, her eyes glared at me.

I chuckled and looked at the time, "Mamah, please don't give me that look!

Ah Did you even take your bath?' She questioned And then how can we possibly go to the makeup studio when this is just almost 2:30 pm?

"That's your problem," I mumbled , "Let me take my bath and pray, which is most important to me. I don't joke with my prayers at all."

I usually attend Islamic classes on weekends, specifically on Saturdays and Sundays, but I missed my class today. Since I didn't bring any clothes with me, I'll have to wear one of Mamah's clothes, as we're almost the same height. After a long hour in the shower, I performed my ablutions and heard Mamah's voice talking to our cousin Aisha about how I wanted to change my skin in the bathroom. I shook my head, coming out of the bathroom, and rubbed Vaseline on my skin. Then, I sprayed the praying mat and prayed after I was done. My prayer counter is always in my bag, and I recited some daily Azkar, as I always do.

"Who will take us then?" Mamah questioned, getting dressed in her jeans and plain pink top, and putting her kimono on top.

I thought for a moment, "As much as I want to drive us, I know Aunty Yesmeen won't give me her car." I took a deep breath and suggested, "Why not ask Mama or Ya Marwan?" looking at Mamah, hoping she would ask her mother or her elder brother Marwan.

Ya Marwan isn't around, and Mama has sent Shehu to buy some stuff at the market.

I nodded my head, thinking we can  wait for him or ask Aunty Yesmeen, hoping she would agree. I walked out to meet her

Just then, Aunty Yesmeen walked out of a room with her iPhone 15 Pro Max, white in color, glued to her ear, and a plate of samosa and spring rolls in her hand. She looked at me and said, "mustapha has brought the clothes, it's with Aisha." I nodded my head.

Aunty Yesmeen, we're heading to the makeup studio, Mamah and I. Please can we use your car?" I asked her To my surprise, she agreed, and I thanked Allah. She handed me the key, which is already in her hand.

"We headed to the makeup artist's shop, but first, we stopped by Deluna to grab some shawarma - my growling stomach can't wait, despite my hunger, I need a quick bite before we continued on our errand......

"Hello everyone! I hope you're all doing well. I'm thrilled to announce that a new book is on the way! We have already met Jalila, and now it's time to meet the charming Ameer. But be prepared for a twist! This story takes an unexpected turn, and I can't wait for you to dive in. 😩

Are you ready? Let me know in the comments section, and don't forget to tap the star and vote! Your support means the world to me, and I'm excited to share this journey with you all.

Loads of love, 💋Ummeetarh05"