Chapter 19 - Unrest

Začít od začátku

"Admiral Kling, Secretary Agra requests your presence."

Startled by the secretary's call, his face turned pale at this timing of summoning.

"I'll show you the way. Please follow me," a staff member beside the secretary said, not bothering to hide his contemptuous expression.

'What... has happened...'

He became convinced that his carefully built career was crumbling and followed with uncertain steps.

"The admiral has been brought, Secretary."

"Let him in."

A voice clearly displeased emanated from the secretary's office.

"I apologize for the intrusion."

"No need for formalities, you may take a seat."

"Yes, sir."

The staff member saluted and hurriedly exited the room.

"Now... well, have a seat."

"Yes, sir."

They both sat on the guest sofas, but despite their luxurious appearance, the seats were uncomfortably stiff.

"........."

"........."

Since they had cleared the room beforehand, there were only the two of them present. For a while, neither of them spoke a word, and a heavy silence filled the air.

"Alright..."

As Agra spoke, Kling's shoulders jumped, and his shirt was soaked with cold sweat.

"You're aware of the outcome of the battle with the GVE's fleet, aren't you?"

"Y-yes..."

"You assured us that two fleets would be enough, and that three fleets would win the battle."

Due to the influence of his recommendation for military reorganization to the emperor, the evaluation of the Gra Valkas Empire fleet's strength and fleet formation had been centered around him.

"I emphasized it multiple times. Not just me, even the Ministry of Foreign Affairs voiced concerns. Despite all those opinions, you insisted we would surely win."

Each word from Agra pierced Kling's chest.

"On what grounds did you claim we would win?"

Despite his nervousness, Kring managed to speak.

"W-well, first, regarding the analysis of enemy ship combat capabilities, based on the results from the Magdola Archipelago and the Folk Strait, we assessed them to be roughly equivalent to our own. It was clear that against such opponents, a single fleet wouldn't suffice, so we judged that a larger fleet should be formed."

"...And then?"

"Next, regarding the enemy's strength... they lost more than one fleet's worth of ships at once due to the Japanese military. Suffering such losses not only affects the number of ships but also significantly undermines troop morale. Therefore, we concluded that if our estimated forces were correct, two fleets would be sufficient against the enemy, and even if they had unexpected forces, three fleets would be enough."

BAM

Agra's desk slamming echoed in the room.

"You sacrificed the lives of many soldiers with such vague reasons!? You underestimated the enemy without even knowing their exact numbers!?"

While specific information about military strength had been provided by Japan, there had been confirmed movements of large-scale ship production by the Gra Valkas Empire. Additionally, due to frequent troop movements and the retirement of some ships, the accurate numbers were not known.