Chapter 8 - Japan's Strategy in the New World

It's explanatory session time.

- Ishiwara

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Commentary] The Road to Establishing Japanese Hegemony

There is no doubt that present-day Japan holds a position as a powerful nation uniting the Third Civilization Area. So why did Japan come to occupy this position of leading the Third Civilization Area, or why was it necessary for Japan to do so?

First, let's take a look at Japan's history leading up to this point.

Once upon a time, Japan existed on a planet called Earth, different from the world at the present day. In other words, the Japanese archipelago, which constitutes Japan, existed on that Earth, and the formation of Japan as a nation also occurred on Earth. Its establishment is said to date back over 2.600 years, starting from the enthronement of the first emperor, Emperor Jimmu, who is considered the ancestor of the current reigning emperor.

For a long time thereafter, Japan's history unfolded largely within its own borders.

What does this mean? In typical nations, there would be interactions or conflicts with neighboring countries, experiencing rises and falls, and becoming part of world history. However, until modern times, Japan showed little inclination to actively conquer other nations. Apart from exceptions like the Mongol invasions during the Kamakura period and the Korean campaigns during the Azuchi-Momoyama period, these events were considered minor and mostly unknown to anyone outside Japan except for history enthusiasts.

This situation changed with the arrival of Commodore Perry in the 6th year of Kaei, in the year 1853 AD. At that time, Japan, under the rule of the Edo Shogunate, had enjoyed over 260 years of peace. However, around the same time, the world saw the onset of the Industrial Revolution, originating from the United Kingdom, leading to colonial competition among Western powers. The impact of the Industrial Revolution was tremendous, granting countries that achieved it a production capacity several times greater than before. Despite Japan peacefully slumbering amidst these global upheavals, it was about to face the brunt of this enormous force.

Realizing the threat of potential colonization posed by Perry's arrival, Japan became aware of the need to navigate turbulent times. Firstly, it initiated a revolution called the Meiji Restoration, overthrowing the Edo Shogunate and establishing the modern Meiji government, which rivaled the Western powers in terms of governance systems. Subsequently, it commenced modernization and military strengthening under the slogan of "Fukoku Kyōhei," meaning "Enrich the Country, Strengthen the Armed Forces." Thus, Japan acquired enough power to defend itself and resisted the trend of colonization by Western powers. In reality, the situation at that time was dire, with Japan facing the serious prospect of being swallowed up by Western powers.

The turning point came with the First Sino-Japanese War in the 27th year of Meiji, in the year 1894 AD. At that time, tensions between China and Japan over Korea escalated into a full-scale conflict triggered by the outbreak of the Donghak Peasant Revolution. Initially, the world expected China to prevail, but the result was a victory for Japan. This war vividly showcased the disparity between China, which remained entrenched in its old ways despite being likened to a dormant lion, and Japan, which had successfully modernized. Thus, Japan began to be seen as the most influential nation in Asia, culminating in the signing of the Anglo-Japanese Alliance in the 35th year of Meiji, in the year 1902 AD. However, in terms of national strength, Japan remained a relatively weak nation, constantly under the threat of being swallowed up if it showed any weakness. Thus, there were nations already making moves to engulf not only Japan but also East Asia as a whole. One such nation was the Russian Empire.