Chapter 18 - Behind the Scenes of World Affairs

As the World Union gathers its forces, what is going on behind the scenes?

- Ishiwara

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 9 Month 8 Year 1642 Central Calendar

The Japanese government officially announced its intention to join the World Union and approached the Mirishial government through Fearm. However, the requested dispatch of a fleet is not forthcoming.

Day 3 Month 10

A frigate on patrol 400 km southeast of Okinawa was attacked by a submarine. The submarine is later salvaged and found to be a Cetus-class submarine built by Gra Valkas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As the world rallied its forces towards the Mirishial Empire, the Third Civilization Area was steadily increasing its power. Resource development on the Rodenius Continent was progressing, and on the Philades Continent, development was advancing with financing from the International Development Bank. Starting with port development, extending to railway and road networks connecting inland areas, agricultural support, flood control, power grids, water supply systems, and even reaching households, a diverse range of support continued. Medical assistance was also provided, and a decline in infant mortality rates began, fueling population growth. This led to a temporary decline in food self-sufficiency rates, but with the established infrastructure, food was being exported one after another from the Principality of Qua-Toyne, adequately meeting the demand.

Moreover, many countries faced situations where the overwhelming majority belonged to the impoverished peasant class. While population growth was originally due to large farming families, many cases arose where they couldn't withstand this situation due to extremely low income. As a result, there was a rapid increase in migrant workers, and Japanese companies seeking local labor for various projects accepted them in droves. Thus, with the successful securing of a sufficient labor force, personnel training progressed smoothly. With exceptional treatment at local standards, incomes rose, and economic revitalization began. Ultimately, the plan is to provide technical guidance to the extent allowed by the Technology Outflow Prevention Act, and to make daily maintenance completely operational by the locals.

Surprisingly for the Japanese government, the funded capital was being used without delay. Anticipating significant embezzlement by some nobles and royals, they had secretly implemented monitoring systems, but they were caught off guard in a positive sense.

The reason for this was the paper money. The influx of large bundles of notes appeared as a massive fraud from the local perspective. In a society reliant on currency systems based on precious metals like gold, paper money was beyond comprehension. Therefore, despite the strong urge to burn them due to great aversion, they couldn't simply disregard them as support from Japan. They hurried to get rid of them as soon as possible, which ultimately led to their healthy use. Subsequently, as support from Japan intensified, they both felt awe at the power beyond the prior information and realized how recklessly the Parpaldian Empire had engaged in futile battles.

At the same time, they recalled that to receive such support, they had no choice but to procure Japanese yen. Belatedly, they recognized the value of paper currency and regretted hastily relinquishing the loans. Despite such tragedies, a paper economy became established in the Third Civilization Area, and the Japanese yen secured its position as the key currency.

Furthermore, with the formation of the League of Nations led by Japan, Japan became the de facto leader of the Third Civilization Area. Subsequently, new international organizations were established one after another, and with the development of international systems in line with them, hegemonic and aggressive ideologies and actions were deemed evil, and measures to restrain rebellious forces were put in place. Even if such movements were shown, with a communication network established through satellites and undersea cables, any signs would immediately become known to the Japanese government. Security also saw dramatic improvements, and since the transference, Japan had been enjoying an unprecedented economic boom, while the Third Civilization Area flourished, overlooking the rapidly changing world situation.