Chapter 6 - New Third Civilization Area

It's been quite a while.

- Ishiwara

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 24 Month 4 Year 1640 Central Calendar

The Rieman military special detachment arrives at Garanda.

Day 28

The Rieman military special detachment reports the occupation of Garanda to the homeland.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 7 Month 5

What have I done wrong...?

I was just doing my job for the sake of the Empire, as I had always done. But now, that Empire is far away. And he, too...

His Majesty, Emperor Ludius.

The glorious Parpaldia Empire was one of the foremost powers in the world. All of it, owing to the excellent subjects and, above all, the strength of Emperor Ludius. In the ten years since His Majesty ascended the throne, the Empire rapidly expanded its territory. While I felt pride in being part of such a great achievement, I also grimaced at the reality of the world. Many nations are crowded together, engaging in all sorts of atrocities, needlessly escalating conflicts. The reality of this world was far from civilized; it was overrun by uncouth barbarians. While I rejoiced in being born in the Empire, the fact that most of the world was ruled by vulgar savages turned my stomach. I wanted to destroy them immediately, but Emperor Ludius had a different perspective.

Certainly, with the Empire's power, it would be easy to annihilate them, but His Majesty believed that even the most hopeless barbarians should have a chance to escape destruction. Because indiscriminate slaughter was a sign of incompetence, he thought. To grow a nation, more manpower is needed. Even if they are inferior to the people of the Empire, if they possess enough intelligence to sense danger, educating them would benefit the nation. And eventually, the Empire would stand at the pinnacle of the world, ruling over all, and bringing peace. That would also benefit the people of the world.

His Majesty's thoughts were beyond my reach. Still, barbarians are just that—barbarians. Many in this world do not understand the greatness of the Empire's rule and His Majesty's magnificent thoughts and governance; they brush away the helping hand extended to them.

In such circumstances, I wholeheartedly assisted in realizing His Majesty's ideals. One of the methods I often employed was a show of force. When invading other countries, disposing of dozens to hundreds is an example to force a surrender. At first glance, it may seem cruel, but it is far worse and foolish to destroy them immediately through military invasion, resulting in thousands of casualties. Moreover, it is understandable even to the less intelligent barbarians and serves as a precaution for the future.

Barbarians will always be barbarians. Even under the Empire's rule, many who do not understand its greatness lurk and even plot rebellion. To prevent this, we must demonstrate the overwhelming difference in power between the Empire and them, instilling fear. This rule through fear is the most effective means of stabilizing governance. Through such education, people learn the folly of unnecessary conflicts, leading to unhappiness, and can enjoy peace under the Empire.

However, Mirishial and Mu, who are supposed to be fellow great powers, adopt policies of conciliation towards neighboring countries. It's a stupid act that keeps the world from peace, but unfortunately, the Empire was ranked lower than these two countries. Why must we be seen as inferior to such spineless nations?

His Majesty also expressed his dissatisfaction with this situation. Of course, our country did not fall into such pitfalls. We ruled over our subjects through fear and even absorbed several barbaric nations. And finally, that country appeared.