The Beach-Chapter 1

The scorching yellow light burned through my eyelids. I precariously opened one eye before closing it again. After a few minutes, I opened my eyes only to see the clear blue sky above me. I must have dozed off again.

I turned my head to the side and saw my bestfriend Jess reading on her iPad. She turned to look at me and gave me a huge, beaming smile.

"Dozed off again?" she laughed.

"Hmm" I replied lazily.

Slowly, I propped myself up on my elbows and observed my surroundings. We were layed on Santa Monica beach in LA. The sound of the sea and faint laughter rang loud in my tired ears. As I looked out into the sea I could see small huddles of people bobbing in the sea enjoying the blazing heat. We only had a few days left of our holiday before we had to go back to cold, old London.

"Fancy another drink Zo?" I jumped as Jess asked.

"Oh yes please, pink lemonade" I winked.

She jumped up and made her way to the line of shops and cafés and the back of the beach. Jess was gorgeous. Small and slim with perfect blonde hair and shining blue eyes. The type of girl any boy would die for. She was wearing a pale pink bikini she had bought from Topshop on our 'pre-LA' shopping trip.

I on the other hand are the opposite. Tall and curvy with long, deep red hair and bright green eyes. I too get boys attention, but shake it off most of the time. I've chosen to wear an all-in-one dark blue cut out swimsuit with pretty white dots.

I fully sat up and brushed the sand off my legs and out of my hair. I squinted, trying to make out figures in the sea. I pulled my sunglasses out of my beach bag and put them on.

I could make out a group of people coming out the sea. A tall man with dreadlocked hair, a slighty shorter guy with very dark brown hair, two identical-looking men and a man with big dark blonde hair.

From a distance, they were all absolutely gorgeous.

But we have discovered that this is normal in LA. Every boy we come across is 'movie-star ding dong' as Jess and I like to say. On the other hand, they we're all complete arseholes.

The boys were getting closer and I could see the water shimmering off their tanned bodies. If i'm honest, they were the cutest boys i'd seen this whole trip. Especially the twins. One of them. Mm.

"Zoey look what I fou-" and she tripped. Jess fell straight on her face, spilling our drinks are throwing french fries everywhere.

I wanted to feel bad but I just laughed. And Jess laughed and in the end we were both sat in fits of laughter.

Eventually when we'd calmed down, I realised that the group of boys had taken a place a few metres away from us where just empty towels had been placed before. How did I not notice them earlier? I must have been asleep...

Just as I was staring, the cute twin looked over. We made eye contact for what felt like a lifetime and I saw a trace of a faint smile on his lips. I couldnt help but return the smile and quickly looked away, blushing.

Interrupting our flirting came the loud sound of my phone ringing. I dug through my bag and hooked out my phone and answered. I knew who it was, thank god for caller ID.

"Hello you" I said.

"Hey sweetie" he answered.