-4- Cold white walls

A bright white light woke me from my comfortable sleep. The light was so bright that my eyes were burning before I even opened them. I carefully tried to open my eyes without going blind. It felt like it took forever but when I finally managed to open my eyes I noticed that I was lying in a bed facing the ceiling, but it wasn't my bed. Where am I? I asked myself as I tried to look around. Suddenly I felt a terrible stabbing pain in my head and finally decided to lie still. The bright light that continued to shine down on me from the ceiling continued to burn into my eyes. However, the burning sensation of brightness wasn't as painful as whatever was wrong with my head. Unfortunately, after a while this pain became too bad for me and I tried to cover my eyes with my hands, only to realize that something was stuck in my arm. I tried to look down at my arm without moving my head too much. There was a needle in my arm with a tube attached to it. My eyes followed the tube to find where it went. The short journey my eyes took ended in a drip.

Am I in a hospital? I narrowed my eyes as I watched the drip standing lonely next to the uncomfortable bed. Shortly afterwards I heard a door open and then quick footsteps came towards me. A nurse with reddish brown hair stood next to my bed and looked at me briefly, then she went back and I could see her dragging something behind her. Suddenly she was holding a blue clipboard in her hand and was scribbling on it. She then picked up various instruments from the small trolley that stood next to her. She examined my different reflexes and after each attempt she wrote something down on the clipboard. Meanwhile I was still lying on the bed confused. She wrote something down again and then looked at me. "Are you in pain?" she asked me in an almost monotonous voice. I tried to answer her but not a single sound came out of me. Her look, which had been serious until just now, crumbled slightly and for a moment it looked as if she was worried about me. Then she took something in her hand and put it on the drip. "Painkiller, that will help you," she said as she changed the tube. With quick steps she pulled the trolly back next to the door and then disappeared back outside.

Now I was alone again in the barren white room. My gaze slowly turned back to the ceiling. My head still hurt like hell, but if this is really painkiller then it should get better soon. Exhausted, I closed my eyes and tried to fall asleep again. The bright light no longer bothered me and although I could usually only sleep in the dark, it wasn't difficult for me to fall asleep again.

***

A weight was lifted from my heart when I finally left the hospital. The fresh air that I was able to feel again for the first time in about two weeks felt great. With steady, even steps, I ran after my parents to the car that was parked in the parking lot in front of the hospital. Relieved, I threw myself into the back seat and buckled up. My father was already turning the key and I could hear the engine starting and a few moments later we were on our way back to our new house. I carefully observed the surroundings through the car window. So many places that were unknown to me caught my eye. However, none of them were interesting enough to hold my attention in the long term.

I closed my eyes and concentrated on the quiet, somewhat old-fashioned music that was playing on the radio. A quiet cracking and the steady hum of the engine were the only other noises that filled the car. My parents haven't said a single word to me since we left. However, I wasn't really worried about that. When I think about it, I usually only talk to them when necessary. The fact that my father is only at work every day doesn't make it any better. And I only see my mother before or after school, depending on what shift she has. I leaned my head against the window and looked outside again. Several trees passed us and before I knew it I recognized some of the houses in my neighborhood. We turned into the driveway and shortly afterwards my father turned to me. "We're back home," he said calmly, then he took the key and got out. I follow him quietly.

When I got into the house I headed straight for my room. I was surprised to find that no one had gone into my room since the incident that one night. The blanket was still on the bed in the same disheveled condition as when I left it. With a groan of relief, I fell onto my bed and layed there for a moment. Then I sat up again and went to my closet. The door creaked as I opened it and after rummaging around in it a bit, I pulled out a white shirt from my favorite band. I removed the uncomfortable shirt my parents gave me for the return trip and then put the other shirt on. "Much better," I said happily.

After I closed the closet again, I looked around my room a bit. The curtains were still messy. I quickly ran to the window and adjusted it. Then my eyes fell on the desk, which was right in front of the window. There was a red envelope on it. I stopped and looked at the letter in amazement. That wasn't there before, I thought to myself as I slowly reached for it. I carefully opened the envelope and pulled out a piece of paper. The paper appeared to be old as it was already discolored. On the front of the note there was something written in handwriting that was relatively difficult to read. To be honest, it looked like a right-handed person wrote the letter with their left hand or blindfolded themselves while writing it. I narrowed my eyes to look at the strange drawings that were actually supposed to represent letters. But after studying the illegible scrawl for a few moments, I was able to figure out what was written on the note.

"It's truely a shame... I would have really liked to have you in my collection. Luckily we will see each other again soon. Until then, I wish you bittersweet dreams."