-2- The incident in the neighborhood

After class, Kate and I walked into the already crowded cafeteria. Somehow we managed to get a table in front of one of the many windows. Kate sat down with her back to the window and shortly afterwards pulled her cell phone out of her pocket. That's how we've always spent our breaks together. I sit quietly next to her and eat while she reads on her phone. Sometimes she reads stories, sometimes news and very rarely she looks at a few pictures on the Internet. I was about to bite into my bread when Kate grabbed my arm. "Hey," I grumbled out of reflex. She looked at me worriedly and shortly afterwards she showed me an article that she was about to read. "A murder?" I asked, a little confused. Her look became more serious. "Th-this is in m-my neighborhood," she said, stuttering. I opened my eyes slightly in shock, "What?" I scooted closer to her and began to look more closely at the article.

It said that an elderly couple were found dead in their bed this morning. According to the article, the murderer probably broke into the house through the window at night and then murdered the two of them while they were sleeping. What particularly disturbed me about it was the fact that the murderer is said to have carved an unnatural smile on the corpses' faces. A cold shiver ran down my spine and I stayed silent. After a while Kate tapped me on the shoulder, "Do you think they've found the murderer yet?" She sounded scared. I put my arm over her shoulder and looked at her, "Don't worry, they'll definitely get rid of this monster," I assured her. However, the fearful look on her face didn't change one bit.

After the break was over we went back to the classroom in silence. I know she's worried, I would be scared as hell too if someone was murdered in my neighborhood. But if the police have already located the bodies, then they are probably already looking for the monster that did that. The school day then went on as usual, except that Kate was quieter. After the last few classes were over, we left the school building. "Um... See you tomorrow," Kate said with her eyes glued to the asphalt of the road. Then she set off without looking back once.

Suddenly I felt someone standing behind me, "Is she okay?" I jumped in shock. After I had recovered from the scare, I turned around. The black-haired boy sitting behind me and Kate was now standing in front of me, "uhm... Yes," I answer, still surprised. The boy tilted his head, a short strand of his hair falling over his face. "Are you sure?" he asked in a tone that made it clear that he didn't believe me. I crossed my arms over my chest, "Yes, I am," I assured him, slightly annoyed. He shrugged his shoulders unimpressed, "if you say so," and then turned around and walked away from me again. That was strange, I thought to myself as I made my way home.