25. it was never my home!

As I entered the living room, the familiar creak of the door announced my presence

As I entered the living room, the familiar creak of the door announced my presence. The conversation halted abruptly, and their gazes turned toward me like a cold wind. My father, mother, brother, and sister-in-law scrutinized me with a mixture of disdain and expectation.

Their faces contorted into scowls as if my very presence was an affront. My mother’s eyes narrowed, her voice dripping with malice, "What did you bring for us, Mayura? Money, gifts, jewelry?"

I met their gaze with an emotionless mask, my voice flat and detached. "I didn't bring anything. Why would I?"

Silence followed, heavy and suffocating. Their eyes bore into me, their disapproval was almost tangible. My brother snorted, his wife whispering something in his ear, their eyes never leaving mine.

My father's face turned crimson with anger, his voice booming through the room. "You ungrateful girl! After all we've done for you, this is how you repay us?"

I didn't bother to reply. Instead, I turned and headed toward my old room, the anklets on my feet echoing through the silence.

As I opened the door, I wasn't surprised by the sight that greeted me. My room had been converted into a storage space, cluttered with boxes and trunks. My belongings were scattered, my memories relegated to a small, dusty corner. I sighed deeply, a pang of sadness piercing through the numbness I had built around my heart.

I began packing my things, carefully collecting my books, childhood photos, and the few mementos I had kept. The photo of my grandmother, the one person who had always loved and supported me, was the last thing I packed. Zipping up my bag, I felt a profound sense of detachment from the place I once called home.

Sitting on the bed, my eyes fixed on the clock, I counted the minutes until Abhimaan would arrive. The thought of him brought a sense of comfort, a warm light in the cold darkness of this house. I knew soon I would be in his arms, far away from the toxicity that plagued my family's home.
I spent the whole day in my room . No one came to check upon me and that's not anything new for me here.
As I descended the stairs, the growling of my stomach reminded me that I hadn't eaten all day. But when I reached the bottom, their voices halted me in my tracks.

"You're leaving again, I see," my mother sneered, her tone dripping with disdain. "Always running away, just like you did your whole life."

My brother’s laughter was a cruel sound. "Yeah, you're so unwanted that even your husband doesn’t want you around."

Their words stung, but I refused to let them see how much it hurt. I took a deep breath, steeling myself against the pain.

"You’re a disgrace to our family, Mayura," my father added, his voice cold and cutting. "You’ve always been a disappointment."

I felt tears prick at the corners of my eyes. I had expected this, but it didn’t make it any easier. I reminded myself that soon, I would be leaving all of this behind. Abhimaan would be here soon, and I would be free.