Chapter 17: Remorseful Reverberations

After the master's departure, the tension in the room remained palpable as the hashiras continued their discussion. Murmurs of discontent circulated among the members, particularly regarding the decision concerning Tanjiro and Nezuko.

"While I respect the Master's decision in this matter, I must admit, I still harbour reservations about Nezuko's inclusion in the corps," Rengoku stated firmly, his tone reflecting his lingering doubts.

Obanai's voice cut through the murmurs, his gaze pointedly directed at Giyu. "And as for Tomioka, I believe some form of reprimand is warranted for his actions," he asserted, visibly irked by the incident with Giyu earlier.

Giyu remained stoic, choosing to ignore Obanai's pointed remarks and maintain his silence, his expression unreadable.

Sanemi, observing the exchange, finally chimed in, his tone sharp with frustration. "Enough with the bickering. Master has made his decision. However, I can't just overlook the fact that a demon is being allowed to roam freely among us. Our duty is to protect humanity, not to harbor demons," he interjected, his gaze fixed on Giyu, challenging his stance on the matter.

Mitsuri looked on with concern, unsure of how to ease the tension. Muichiro stood silently, as usual, lost in his own thoughts.

Meanwhile, Tsukiyo attempted to mediate the situation, her voice gentle but resolute. "Nezuko has shown no signs of harming humans. Perhaps we should not judge her solely based on her demon status. We could at least give her a chance?"

Sanemi, already seething with anger over the discussion, glared at Tsukiyo. "Are you seriously considering siding with a demon? Have you forgotten the atrocities they've inflicted on us humans? They're relentless monsters, incapable of redemption! By giving that demon even an ounce of trust, you're jeopardising everything we stand for! There are no second chances in this life!"

Giyu, sensing the escalating tension, intervened, trying to prevent Tsukiyo from bearing the brunt of the conflict. "I won't allow that to happen."

Sanemi emitted a scornful laugh. "Yet another fool, deluded into thinking a demon could ever cooperate with slayers," his irritation mounting with each passing moment.

Tsukiyo attempted to reason with him, her voice steady but tinged with sadness. "I'm not advocating for demons, Shinazugawa. What I am trying to say is that perhaps we can look at this situation from a different perspective, considering that Nezuko has demonstrated her restraint and benevolence towards humans. You witnessed her response just now, even in the presence of your marechi blood."

Sanemi's frustration only intensified at Tsukiyo's response, "You just don't understand the gravity of this issue. You haven't suffered at the hands of demons. You still have your family to lean on, unlike those of us who've lost everything to those monsters!" His voice cracked with emotion, revealing the deep-seated pain and resentment he harboured towards demons.

The hall plunged into a sudden, heavy silence as Sanemi's harsh words hung in the air.

Tsukiyo's eyes, once bright and determined, now dulled with sadness as she struggled to contain her tears. Her attempt to speak further stifled by the pain in her heart. Sanemi's outburst left her feeling wounded and vulnerable, unable to defend herself against his accusations.

Sanemi felt his heart clenched as he saw the hurt reflected in Tsukiyo's eyes, a silent testament to the weight of his harsh words. In that moment, he felt a pang of regret, realising the depth of pain he had inflicted. Yet, pride, like a stubborn barrier, held him back from extending the apology that begged to be spoken. It was as if his tongue was bound by the weight of his own remorse, leaving him unable to retrieve the hurtful words that had escaped him.

Mitsuri and Shinobu exchanged concerned glances as the tension in the room escalated.

Unable to bear the weight of the moment, Tsukiyo abruptly turned and fled from the hall, the echo of her footsteps lingering in the stunned silence that followed the confrontation.

"Damn it!" Sanemi muttered through gritted teeth, his frustration manifesting in a punch against the wall, his emotions a tangled mess of remorse and conflict.

Rengoku approached Sanemi, offering a comforting hand on his shoulder. "You should apologise, Shinazugawa."

Sanemi's pride clashed with his inner turmoil. "And why should I?" he retorted, struggling to let go of his ego despite the guilt gnawing at him from within.

After a brief search, they found Tsukiyo in a secluded corridor, tears streaking down her cheeks. "Tsukiyo, are you alright?" Shinobu asked softly, her voice laced with worry.

Quickly composing herself, Tsukiyo managed a smile. "Yes, I'm fine. Thank you both for checking on me," she replied, her voice slightly shaky.

Mitsuri enveloped them both in a tight hug, her empathetic nature shining through. "Seeing Tsukiyo cry makes me want to cry too," she admitted with a sniffle.

Tsukiyo chuckled weakly, touched by her friends' concern. "I'm not crying anymore, Mitsuri. But thank you for being here."

Shinobu offered Tsukiyo a comforting gesture. "If you'd like, you can come stay at my mansion tonight. A good rest might help."

Mitsuri eagerly chimed in, "Hey! What about me? You should extend the invitation to me too! Let's have a girls' night!"

Shinobu laughed, though her tone held a hint of warning. "Of course, but remember to behave yourselves, Mitsuri. If not, I will throw you out any time."

Tsukiyo smiled, as she felt a sense of gratitude for her friends' unwavering support.

Back in the hall, Rengoku revealed to Sanemi, "Tsukiyo was adopted by Hikari. Hiroshi is not her biological brother. Her family was killed by demons. She's essentially an orphan."

Sanemi was engulfed by a wave of guilt, his heart heavy with regret. "How did you find out?"

Rengoku explained, "I overheard Hiroshi talking about it with other demon slayers as I passed by on my way out for a mission."

Gyomei interjected, confirming Rengoku's revelation. "Yes, what Kyojuro heard is accurate. I've also spoken to Tsukiyo about her past."

Upon hearing this, Sanemi's brow furrowed in frustration, and he stormed out of the hall. Angry with himself for his impulsiveness, he grappled with the need to apologise, uncertain of where to begin.