Chapter 16: A Trial of Convictions

The grand hall buzzed with the usual chatter of the Hashira, but they were all suddenly called in for an emergency meeting.

"What could be so important that we were all called back?" Mitsuri asked, curiosity piqued.

Rengoku shrugged, replying, "Might be the appearance of some powerful demons like the upper moons?"

Shinobu interjected, "We are here for a trial today."

"A trial? What sort of trial?" Tsukiyo questioned, her interest evident.

"A slayer is fighting alongside a demon who is his sister, and Tomioka is aware of that too," Shinobu explained tersely, before the trial began.

"That is absurd. How could such an atrocious thing happen?" Gyomei reprimanded.

Giyu stood silently to the side, seemingly detached from the commotion.

Suddenly, a Kakushi dragged a boy into the Demon Slayer headquarters. "Hey, wake up boy, you are in the presence of the Hashiras!"

"So this is the boy who is in tow with a demon? How ordinary. I expected him to be someone more flashy," remarked Tengen, eyeing the boy disdainfully.

"Hashira? Wait, where am I?" the boy looked around, flustered, searching for something.

Shinobu explained, "You are at the headquarters of the Demon Slayer Corps. And you, Tanjiro Kamado, are to be placed on trial."

"Trial? There is no need for a trial, isn't it? We, as demon slayers, should not protect demons. This is a clear violation and execution should be carried out!" exclaimed Rengoku.

Gyomei added, "What a pitiful sight this is."

Muichiro stood in a corner, gazing blankly at the sky, seemingly lost in thought.

"Where is Nezuko? Where have you taken her to? Zenitsu? Inosuke? Where are you guys?" Tanjiro's voice rose in panic.

"Shut up, boy!" hissed Obanai, suddenly appearing on a tree branch. "Never mind this boy. The question is, what shall we do with Tomioka? He was an accomplice too, right? Why is he standing there without any restraints? This makes me ill."

Giyu remained silent, seemingly unfazed by Obanai's words.

Tsukiyo noticed Obanai's presence but saw that Sanemi had not yet arrived. All the Hashiras were now present except for him.

Shinobu defended Giyu, "I think it will be fine for now. Tomioka came willingly without any signs of restraints. The penalty can come later."

"So, what is your story, little boy?" Shinobu questioned.

"Nezuko is my sister. She may be a demon, but she has never and will never hurt anyone!" Tanjiro answered earnestly.

"Ridiculous. She is your sister. Of course, you would defend her. And what kind of joke is this? A demon not hurting anyone? Do you think we are fools?" Obanai scoffed.

Tanjiro pleaded further, "I am telling the truth. I am now a demon slayer, trying to find a cure to turn Nezuko back into a human. It has been two years, and never once has Nezuko attacked or harmed any human being. She is the only family I have left. Please, you have to believe me."

Tsukiyo felt Tanjiro was genuine and softened at his pleading, "Perhaps we should look into this issue further before coming to a conclusion? Let's wait for the master to arrive before we proceed any further?"

"Tsukiyo, are you being foolish? The boy's story lacks credibility, and yet you believe him?" Tengen questioned. "You should be careful not to end up like Giyu, or you might face penalties for siding with a demon."