Chapter 14: Shadowed Unity

Tsukiyo treaded through the forest, a whirlwind of thoughts clouding her mind. 

Why am I paired up with this perpetually moody Shinazugawa? Almost any other Hashira would have likely been a more comfortable fit. 

The weight of the silence between them pressed down on her, making the situation increasingly awkward.

To break the stifling quiet, Tsukiyo attempted to engage the tall, brooding figure ahead of her. "It feels like ages since our last mission together," she began, trying to infuse some lightness into the conversation. "Do you remember when that was?"

Sanemi shot her a glance, his expression as per usual. "I don't keep track of such things," he remarked. "Just make sure you don't mess up. You're a Hashira now."

Annoyed but undeterred, Tsukiyo replied, "You can rest assure that I've trained hard for this. I'm not the same Tsukiyo in the past anymore."

Hoping to ease the tension, Tsukiyo ventured, "By the way, how's Masachika-san? I haven't seen him since our last mission together." She thought revisiting their shared past might help mend their strained relationship.

Sanemi flinched at the mention of Masachika. His reaction was immediate and visceral. As he heard the name, his face hardened, his shoulders tensed, and he snapped, "Can you just focus on the mission and keep your questions to yourself?"

Though taken aback by Sanemi's reaction, Tsukiyo decided it is best to respect his wish for silence, her thoughts now solely on the mission ahead.

The sun dipped below the horizon, casting eerie shadows across the dense forest. Tsukiyo and Sanemi moved cautiously, their senses heightened, wary of the demon terrorising the nearby village. An unsettling scent hung in the air, the air around seems to grow colder and heavier – a foreboding sign of the demon's presence.

Suddenly, a shadowy mass burst from the undergrowth. It was an eerie and elusive creature, whose form constantly shifting and merging with the darkness around it. Its body is humanoid but seems to be made of pure, writhing shadows, with glowing red eyes piercing through the inky blackness. Long, sinewy arms extend from its smoky form, ending in razor-sharp claws that can tear through both flesh and spirit. Its presence is chilling, its movements fluid and unpredictable as it melts into and emerges from the shadows at will.

All of a sudden, the Shadow demon with its razor-sharp claws standing out against the dim light, towered over Tsukiyo and Sanemi. "Well, well, look who I found today," the Shadow demon chuckled evilly.

With swift reflexes, Sanemi drew his sword and lunged at the demon. However, the Shadow demon was agile, dodging Sanemi's attacks with surprising speed. A formidable opponent, it unleashed its Shadow Demon Art, attacking Tsukiyo and Sanemi from the shadows, making it challenging for them to anticipate its moves.

Sanemi, with his Wind Breathing technique, deftly deflected the demon's shadowy strikes. But the relentless assault left him momentarily exposed, and the demon seized the opportunity, slashing him across the arm.

Blood spurted from Sanemi's wound, the metallic scent filling the air.

"Shinazugawa!" Tsukiyo called out worriedly.

"What is this smell? Don't tell me, you have the Marechi blood?" the Shadow Demon's eyes glowed up in excitement. "What a super rare delicacy!" The intoxicating effect of the Marechi blood started to cause the Shadow demon to salivate, lose focus and go crazy for it.

"Crystal Breathing, Second Form: Ruby Rain!" Seizing the moment to protect Sanemi from another shadowy attack which came suddenly out from his shadow, Tsukiyo used her Crystal Breathing technique to create a protective barrier of crystal shards around them. The demon's shadowy strikes were deflected by the barrier, saving Sanemi from another potential attack.

With the demon now at a disadvantage, Tsukiyo and Sanemi attacked in tandem. "Crystal Breathing, Fifth Form: Fifth Form: Prism Piercer!" Tsukiyo targeted the demon's eyes and joints, trying to blind and cripple it.

Sanemi, taking advantage of the demon's impaired state, unleashed a series of powerful, relentless slashes. "Wind Breathing, Seventh Form: Gale, Sudden Gusts!" His attacks, though visibly draining him, were devastating, cutting deep into the demon's flesh and weakening its core.

The battle was fierce and demanding, pushing Tsukiyo and Sanemi's skills and teamwork to the limit. But with their combined efforts, the demon's power began to wane. Sanemi, gathering the last remnants of his strength, delivered a final, decisive blow, decapitating the demon's head and vanquishing it.

Panting and battered, they stood side by side, surveying the aftermath of their intense battle.

Tsukiyo rushed over to Sanemi, concern evident in her eyes. "Are you alright?" she asked, her gaze fixated on his bleeding arm.

Sanemi glanced down at his wound, brushing it off dismissively. "It's just a scratch, nothing to worry about," he said gruffly, attempting to move away from her.

But Tsukiyo was persistent. "Let me at least help with some quick first aid. We should treat it before it gets infected," she insisted, reaching into her pouch for bandages and antiseptic.

Sanemi pulled his arm back, his expression hardening. "I told you, it's fine. I don't need your help," he snapped, clearly uncomfortable with the idea.

Tsukiyo looked at him with gentle determination, her concern unwavering. "Please, Shinazugawa. I just want to make sure you're okay, you are still bleeding. We have to stop the bleeding and bandage up the wound," she implored, her eyes pleading with him to accept her help.

After a moment of tense silence, Sanemi sighed, relenting just a little. "Fine, but make it quick," he finally conceded, holding out his arm begrudgingly.

A smile spread across Tsukiyo's face, both relieved and pleased that Sanemi was allowing her to help. "You really should take care of that wound," she said softly, as she carefully cleaned and bandaged his arm.

During the process, their eyes met briefly.

"Don't expect me to thank you, you insisted on doing it," Sanemi muttered softly, still holding her gaze.

Tsukiyo grinned cheekily, a playful glint in her eyes. "Who said anything about expecting thanks? I'm just making sure you don't bleed out on me," she teased lightly.

"Tch," Sanemi clicked his tongue in annoyance, looking away. After a moment of hesitation, he added, "Thank you, Amano."

Tsukiyo raised her eyebrows in surprise, returning his gratitude with a warm smile. "We make a good team, Shinazugawa."

Sanemi rolled his eyes but couldn't hide his smirk. "Not too bad."