Chapter 24: The Rejected Divorce

Start from the beginning

“You got it wrong, Micheal! I never expected or wanted you to divorce me. You promised that I’ll always be Mrs. Balogun, and now this? You really filed a divorce. Do we even discussed this?” Her voice echoed in the office.

With tears glistening in her downcast eyes, Susanne held back the flood of emotions that threatened to consume her fragile composure. The weight of her husband’s decision to end their marriage hung heavy in the air. It wasn’t the first time in their 5 years of marriage that Susanne raised her voice. So it wasn’t a surprise for Micheal. Micheal calmed his attitude because they were in public.

“Look here, no matter what happens, I’m never getting divorced, so forget about that stupid letter! I’m not signing it! Why don’t you involve your dad if you want to dit h me so bad? Let’s see if he agrees.”

Micheal adjusted his flying suit and just heaved. Susanne was a blabbermouth, and she pissed him off. In his mind, a painful reminder of the love that once bound them together. But that love died the night he married her in front of the world. As if he saw a nightmare or something. That realization changed everything. And the endurance of the regretful union had to end.

The lawyer, watching their argument like a movie, arranged the scattered documents and placed it between them. The situation tormented him too, but he kept calm.

After a moment of awkward silence, Micheal placed the document before Susanne and slipped through its first page. “Sign it!”

“I hate you, you know. But that’s not enough reason we’d divorce!” Susanne spat and grabbed her bag with trembling hands.

Susanne couldn’t sign the papers that would end their union, despite the pain in her heart and the betrayal in his words. With a mixture of defiance and despair, she gasped shaky breaths and stormed out of the office, her steps echoed the hollow emptiness of her soul. Alone and abandoned, she carries the burden of her broken marriage, a faint glimmer of hope flickering within her tear-stained gaze.

Thinking about her attitude, Micheal couldn’t understand why she wouldn’t let go.

“Just astounding!” His eyes rolled inwardly

“Is everything alright?” Barrister Isah asked, interested. But in annoyance, Micheal fled out of his office to meet with Susanne before she goes home. She was crying profusely, waiting for the lift to open. “Meet me downstairs!” Micheal ordered his bodyguard and rushed to join her before the empty lift closes.

“What’s wrong with you?” He said hoarsely and grabbed her arm, but she jerked off. “There’s no love between us and you want children? What do you want from me exactly? Can’t you see I’m doing this to make you secure?”

He was unaware when she leaned in and planted her lips on his, stealing a kiss. Michael’s vision blurred as he observed Susanne closing her eyes, pressing her moist, eager lips against his. Her arousal faded when he nuzzled her against the wall, wiping his lips with his sleeve as if he had just finished a hearty meal.

“What... What is this all about?”

“It’s love.” Susanne suggested, with a sardonic lift of her slim dark brows. But Micheal’s rejection suddenly killed her smirk. Pushing her to the fragile vessel adrift in an ocean of anguish, with no shore in sight to offer solace. Susanne was once again close to tears.

Micheal looked around, hoping there was no planted camera watching them, but the lift was indeed empty.

“I told you I don’t want! I will give you any amount you want, don’t you get?” The lift opened, and they were already on the first floor. Micheal’s chest heaved like he couldn’t get enough air into his lungs as the couple stepped out, walking side by of side each other. Susanne sniffed, holding back her tears from pooling out. But her eyes smokey eyes were red. It was oblivious.