Chapter 22: Grace Finds A New Teaching Job

When morning came, Grace boarded a bus with her credentials at hand and just couldn’t wait to reach the venue. She read through her employment letter for the hundredth time that morning, before submission.

“I’m Grace Phillips. I’m pretty confident at teaching and I have passion to raise kids because kids are the leaders of tomorrow. She said, rehearsing her words with imaginary questions from the school management. I look forward to hearing from you.” She almost memorized the lines from her employment letter when the public bus halted. Some passenger climbed down, Grace followed.

Creative Minds Academy is a popular school at Wise Zone 2. It had highly paid staff as Grace learnt. It was also one of the best schools in the city of Abuja. Once Grace stepped out, she located the school Green gates and hurried towards it.

The school’s principal and proprietor, alongside a panel of experienced teachers, sat her at the front of the school hall for an interview.

“Miss Grace.” The principal, who was a round, elderly woman called upon her distracted attention. The purple shift dress on her hugged her figure, but she looked matured in her neatly woven hair. 

Grace turned to her in reply, forcing a smile on her lip.

“Only a couple of teachers would love to study dearly childhood education.” The principal continued with her head, tilted to the side a little. “Many would go for NCE, you know. Based on your credentials, you mentioned that teaching is your dream. I have a question and I need you to give an honest reply. Why would an excellent primary school teacher like you resign?”

The question was unexpected. Grace eyes narrowed above her bolted lips. She thought her previous experience at Ability Nursery and Primary School would add value to her employment letter, since it was the same line of profession. Avoiding to give the wrong reply, Grace couldn’t help but to stare with raised brows.

“Ma... You see.” Her head lowered with a fake smile, but when she realized heat her whole body was shivering, she gave it a rest.

“What were you saying, Miss Grace?” The principal leaned forward with both arms on the table. Her small eyes focused on Grace like a camera’s lens. “Are you saying that you wanted to change for a better working experience? Or was it that you needed a bigger pay?

“Yes, ma.” Grace nodded with courage and then, a pinched laughter. “The both.”

“You only have an O’level and ordinary diploma.” The proprietor cut in. “How can a standard school like ours employ you?”

The hall was air-conditioned, but sweat lingered down Grace’s forehead. She wiped it off with her palms over her face. “This isn’t an examination. Why so much questions?” Grace cried mentally, with a bowed head. She just kept quiet, looking down and away.

The proprietor was an elderly man in his late sixties, while the principal seemed to be in her late fifties or whereabout. They should be considerate. Grace hoped as she nervously peeled her fingernails. It took a lot not to chew on them. She nibbled on her lower lip with a held breath. They all had their eyes on her. Her elbow rested on her knee as she placed her jaw on her palm. A gaze at the principal, she watched her whispering some words into the proprietor’s hearing. He told her something, though he was barely audible. The principal nodded and whispered back. Their smile faded once they turned their gaze at her and realized the curiosity in her eyes.

“Okay, fine.” The principal adjusted her sitting position. “That will be all for now. Go home and wait for our notice.”

“Uh... Am I rejected?” Her neck narrowed as she sat upright.