CHAPYER THIRTY ONE

You have a guest." Aunt Salma said after pushing open the door to Layla's room which rendered her heart to drop at her aunt's words without knowing the reason why . She was in her evening wear of a silk lilac pants with a wide long sleeved buttoned shirt ready to just stay in bed while reading a book till sleep overcame her. Her aunt had already left, leaving the door ajar while she got up and grabbed a veil to cover her head and neck then slipped her feet in some comfy slippers before stepping out. Halting on her steps when her eyes turned on the guest who had a mug of tea to his lips, she tried calming the wild beating of her heart by breathing out her nervousness.

"Good evening Layla." He smiled charmingly and dropped the tea cup on its saucer.

What are you doing here Mansoor?.

She peeked at the content of the cup and looked in her aunt's direction to see her taking the same. Aunt Salma gave her a mischievous smile then took a sip.

"There are some snacks in the fridge Layla. I hope you'd stay and have some Mansoor?." She turned to his direction and he smiled.

"I will aunt Salma. Thank you for offering." He enthralled her with another one of his smiles and she chuckled cheerfully before skipping to her room.

So these two are already on first name basis?.

"Good evening." Layla mumbled and adjusted her veil then turned to the kitchen to do as her aunt asked. After dropping a plate of snacks on the coffee table beside the chair he was seated on, she decreased the air conditioning to make the room cooler.

"Do you need a refill?." She gestured towards the cup and he nodded.

"It's the best herbal tea I've ever had." He chuckled and passed it to her.

"Then you'd be thrilled to know it's not just anyone that my aunt shares her tea with. But I'd tell her your remark." She pulled a serious expression when she raised her head to see his eyes twinkling and a small smile playing on his lips.

"She already knows don't worry. I couldn't help complimenting on it."

"Hm." Was her comment as she unplugged the kettle from its socket to refill the cup. Taking a seat on the opposite end of the living room, she watched as he poured some honey and stirred before turning to her.

"What brought you here?." She asked propping her cheek on her knuckles after crossing her legs. On second thought, she momentarily shut her eyes, hating how rude she sounded. "I'm sorry..."

"It's alright. Please, don't apologize." They stared at each other for what felt like eternity. Mansoor boring his eyes into Layla's, assessing, seeking.

" I won't take much of your time I promise." Feeling like something was clogging her throat because of his sudden business like attitude, she nodded and crossed her arms across her chest and waited.

"It's about Alia and Sal..."

"I don't want anything that has to do with those people." The disappointment she felt at the topic he brought forth rang deep in her heart that she couldn't hide her disdain.

"Hear me out Layla." Her eyes narrowed into slits at his words, the smooth command that lay beneath them unmistakably uncovering authority. Showing her a part of him that wasn't used to being argued with.

"We need Hafsa to testify. Apart from you, she is the only witness that can stand trial for the charges that have been brought against your father. And she is scared to death to do it. I need your help."

"But I am not even a witness. I haven't even heard of these people's crimes until it involved my family."

"You have the evidence of their meetings. Multiple times."