CHAPTER TWO

Seven Years Later,
Valley Camp Neighborhood, Federal Capital Territory.

The huge two story building that stood before her was nothing short of beautiful and magnificent. It was nothing she had ever seen before. The sparkling glass windows, well groomed plants and palms decorated the front yard and the outrageous cars that lined up the driveway were luxurious in every sense of the word. She tried to calm her nerves, the shaking of her hands and legs, her heart's unsteady rhythm from the harassment she endured from the man by the gate because he wouldn't allow her in. The clammy feeling in her palms caused by sweat was making her even more anxious. She stared at the house stunned, taking in all the beauty of her surroundings when an elderly woman came up to them, staring at her questioningly that Mariam had to hold her breath.

"What was the ruckus all about? I heard your voice all the way to the living room ." She directed the question at the man.

"This damn girl right here wants to get into the house. I asked what she wanted but she just keeps showing me some piece of paper and whispering like something ate her tongue. And you know I don't care to read". His deep annoyed voice rang through her and shook her to the toes once again.

"Can I see this piece of paper ?." The woman asked, the girl nodded eagerly and held the paper out with both hands shaking. She took hold of the paper and read it's content.

"Allah! The new housemaid. You're Mariam?." The woman raised her eyebrows looking at her. She nodded smiling uneasily at the plump woman.

"Well it's good you're here now. You've frightened the poor girl Hadi". He let out a grunt of a reply before turning to his post. "Come, I'll take you in and show you around before everyone gets home. I'm really glad that Madam could find a house help to maintain the house chores while I'm away. Because I'll be away for quite a while. And it's not easy finding anybody within this part of town. You can call me Um' Bilal by the way". She spoke warmly making the girl more at ease.The woman chatted away while they entered through a door at the back that led to the kitchen

The well lit grey walled kitchen had its white marble tiles, white countertop and cabinets sparkling clean. Utensils, dishes and everything were lined up where it was supposed to be. The transparent glass door opposite the one they entered from was shut, and beside it was a perfect arrangement of white painted shelves in six positions that held an assortment of appealing transparent jars containing different spices, powdered milk, sugar and beverages and many other items she couldn't identify.

The top shelf held a frame with a quote on it and a small cactus, which she kept in mind to read about the words on the it later. Another shelf held an adorable white kettle and mugs arranged on a wooden coaster, and the one under it held another small plant in its white cubic pot where beside it was a rack holding some neatly arranged bags of detergents. On the island, a set of fresh apples in a bowl sat prettily on the equally white colored space, and the pleasant smell of good food was all over coming from the cooker.

If she were really to work here then she had absolutely no idea how on earth she was going to be able to cook this excellently and keep the kitchen this neat. Her stomach growled in an answer to the aroma that made her mouth water,and she quickly lowered her eyes to the ground when the woman turned and raised an eyebrow at her.

"A little hungry are you?." Um' Bilal asked with a chuckle. The visible relief she saw on the girl's face when she said that was unmistakable.

She must be really hungry.

The girl looked down again taking note of her feet, letting out an inaudible gasp. She quickly removed her old tattered shoes and tucked them under her arm then adjusted the old bag on her shoulder. She frantically apologized through a strained whisper with an anxious wring of her hands, and Um' Bilal couldn't help but stare at her in something that looked like wonder.