CHAPTER TEN

Zahra's grand dinner was supposed to be held the week before, but fortunately enough uncle Abdullah got an appointment as the new attorney general of Nigeria, which meant the family had to host two events on their behalf.

'Marvelous achievements'. As her father had called it.

"But uncle Dallah, how about the events get merged into one?." Zahra had sweetly suggested in Abbu's living room two weeks ago.

"But my dear, do you wish to have old people at your social function?." He had asked jokingly after taking a sip of coffee and she laughed.

"I was thinking about the cost that's all. Even though I'd be honored to have my event merged with yours."

"Ah! You are such a sweet thing my dear. But the cost won't be a problem. And I don't want to take away your special moment."  He had said.

"I don't mind uncle Dallah, as long as Abbu will agree to it then that's all that matters." Uncle Wali stared at her, clearly impressed with her thoughtfulness and smiled.

"Alright, if that's what you want princess. I'll speak with your father about your wish and see what he has to say" He conformed and she excitedly thanked him, all the while Layla had been listening when she entered her father's living room to greet their uncle and ask her father the permission to go out. Knowing Zahra, all that she was doing was for the publicity.

Despite the chaos all around in preparation for the ostentatious event, Layla kept to herself and confined herself in her room. She had avoided Zahra like the plague and was at peace with her choice and over the past few days the only time they met was during meal time and that was that. Most of their cousins, aunts and uncles were present as it had always been like that when it came to Zahra, not just because it involved Abbu. Losing her father, uncle Mamman to cancer at a very young age had earned her a soft spot in everybody's heart and they had grown so attached to her out of the sympathy they had for her since childhood.

Layla sat on the vanity table combing her hair after finishing up the makeup she had done. She allowed her long, newly flat ironed jet black hair fall gently   on her shoulders down her back. Of everything she had lost over the past few years it had been the only thing that stuck with her, though it had more volume now than it used to. She could hear the excited chatter of some relatives downstairs and up in the hallway, but she was drained before attending the dinner already. Packing her hair into a bun, she grabbed a gold bracelet and clasped her wrist into it, then slid a gold ring around her finger. She opened her wardrobe to choose what to wear and sighed. She was feeling her mood getting the best of her, but she couldn't help not going for the event.

If only I'd done all of this earlier. She huffed over the noise and the sound of cars outside leaving for the event.

Finally, she grabbed a black dress that she had never worn before because it was a little big on her when it was made and turned it in her hand, inspecting it. Deciding it will do, she slipped it on. She zipped it and turned around to look at herself in the mirror. The dress had a high neckline that covered almost half  of her neck, the sleeves were long and had some details of ruffled feathers on them at the wrist the color of silver, which made the dress look more stylishly graceful. Then she threw on the cape that had a crystal touch on the shoulder top and the edges were encrusted with identical stones, where it draped down her body to the floor, liking the way she filled out the dress beautifully as it fitted her supple body perfectly.

Deciding to change her choice of jewelry, she donned a set of glittery Cartier rhinestones, then covered her hair in an equally stylish glittery turban when an urgent knock came at her door. She opened it to see her aunt, warning her to be quick that the event had started and there were only a few of them left in the house. She nodded and grabbed her black stilettos and slid her feet in, giving herself one final look, she headed out.