I'm a quiet walker. Making sure not to step on twigs or crunchy leaves was like second nature to me, so I glided through to forest without much more than a sound. The sun disappeared on the horizon, and I knew I had about forty five minutes left of any sort of daylight.

I found a low hanging branch, and pulled myself up into it, I climbed the branches until I was near another tree. I sucked in a deep breath and walked onto the other branch. This was something that I had done as a sort of dare to myself, when I was younger. Switching from tree to tree to tree. As I got older, and my punishments got worse, I made the tree jumps a little more risky. Now though, with a loving family waiting for me in a house that I was welcome in, the game seemed stupid. I huffed out a breath and sat down on the thick branch, watching the ground below me as I swung my legs.

The wind picked up and while it wasn't cold, it made the leaves rustle and I got unsettled. The forest was nearly pitch black as I made my way down. A loud sound in my ear had me nearly plummet to the ground, but I braced myself on a branch, and swallowed back a cry of fear.

I looked to the tree, where the sound had come from, and saw the prettiest Eastern Screech Owl I had ever seen. Okay, that might be due to the fact that it was the only owl I had ever seen. The only reason I saw it, was because it was in a little hole in the tree, and its yellow eyes were looking out at me. I knew it was a Screecher, because of the sound it had made in my ear, and now, with my flashlight pointed it's direction, but not at it, I could see that it was just a little one. Probably female, and just starting to mature.

I worked my teeth over my bottom lip, "hey there little one, where are your parents?" I whispered into the night, this little owl being the only creature likely to hear me.

The owl tilted it's head and blinked at me, giving me another ear splitting screech. I'm not sure if it wanted me to get away, or if it was simply making a noise because I had. I reached out, slowly as not to spook her, and stroked her feathers. She made a soft sound that was unlike the earlier screech. With a little shuffle that spooked me more than her bird call, she made her way out of her little home she had made for herself to the edge of the hole.

I paused before speaking again, "yeah, mine aren't around either," I said softly, moving my finger around to brush the feathers of her wing. She gave me a screech, but this time it was shorter, and quieter.

I smiled in return and put my arm out until she took a chance and climbed onto my arm. Her talons were sharp, and dug into my skin as she held on for dear life. I took my time, talking quietly and pushing away the possibility of her having rabies. She certainly didn't look rabid.

I talked to her a little bit longer before she finally loosened her grip on my arm, and even leaned in to my soft petting of her feathers. I didn't know when I did it, but when I finally let her back into her little home, I was calling her Aspen.

She tucked herself back into her little home, and when I touched the ground she gave a screech. I smiled to myself and set off home, checking the screen of my phone and trying not to let the fact that there were no messages bother me. I made it all the way home without a single problem, and just before I went into the back door, there was another screech. It warmed my heart.

I went to the living room first, to check on Oakley who was drooling in her sleep. Then I went through the house and turned off all the lights, except for the porch light which dad would need when he came home- if he came home tonight.

Unlike my real father, Oakley's dad actually took business trips.. for business. When everything was all done, I went upstairs and sat on my bed. I pulled my kindle off of the nightstand and opened it up to the book that I had started on the drive to this new house.

I threw the kindle on to the bed, and changed into some pajamas, setting my cellphone on the nightstand and plugging it in before crawling into my bed.

This new house that was quickly feeling like home.

I was nearly finished with the book, when I noticed my phone screen flick to life. I rolled my eyes at myself for getting so excited, even if one of them had actually texted. I quickly saved all the contacts before turning my ringer on to vibrate, and finally checking the message, which was from Gabriel.

Gabriel: Sorry to bug you so late, but do you dye your hair?

I grinned at the weirdness of the question and typed a quick reply before going back to the book.

Me: No, never have... why?

There was a moment in between our texts, just long enough for me to settle back into the world of my book, and the love story that was unfolding, coming to a close. My bed vibrated, and I looked at the phone again.

Gabriel: No shit? That's awesome.

Gabriel: I'm not gay or anything, I just. Hair is my thing you know?

Gabriel: Not thing as in like, kinky shit or something, but...

Gabriel: Damnit

Gabriel: This is coming out all wrong.

I was nearly giggling as I typed a quick reply.

Me: Like. You get hair and beauty stuff, like some people understand cars and mechanical stuff?

Gabriel: Exactly! My stepmom is a beautician, so she taught me shit growing up.

I wondered what it would have been like to have a stepmother who taught and took care of you, instead of the things mine had done to me. I furrowed my eyebrows, forgetting to reply as I day dreamed.

Gabriel: Anyways, I'll let you get back to sleep, I was just wondering.. good night :)

Me: Goodnight Gabriel, sweet dreams

I didn't let myself worry if the sweetdreams part was a little too much, as I had already shut off everything and closed my eyes. I fell asleep that night with a smile upon my lips.

If Normal Was a ThingOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara