Synopsis

Content Warnings: Foul language and allusions to sexual conduct. 

In which two ex-step-siblings reconnect after just about blowing up their family the first time around...

Three years ago, Maddie fell hard for Jacob Isaacs, the smartest boy in her school. The only problem was this: Her dad had quite literally gotten engaged to his mother. The two tried to dampen the flames of their burgeoning attraction for each other but not before they got caught and were the talk of the town for months.

After the fall out, Maddie moved away to try and start her life over and not be known as the girl who got caught doing it with her 'brother' at prom. She hasn't seen her family in ages and intends to keep things that way.

Jacob, on the other hand, has worked hard to accomplish everything he's ever dreamed of. He's stayed close to home, done exceptionally well at school, and is adored by just about everyone who meets him. There's only one problem: There's a Maddie-shaped hole where his heart used to be. But no matter how hard he tries to reach out and find her, he can't. She won't let him. He let her down and gave up on them when she needed him most. And she's not ready to forgive and forget.

But then Maddie's dad passes and she's forced to come home for his funeral. It should be a quick visit. She intends to make it one. But Jacob has other plans. He let his girl slip through his fingers once and he won't let that happen again. So now he has to convince her to give him one more chance. After all, they're not related to each other anymore...

I had the idea for this story after joking around with my sister

I had the idea for this story after joking around with my sister. We were talking about the massive amount of step-brother/step-sister romance novels we used to read. We gobbled them down when they came out but why were these books so appealing to us?

I guess it has something to do with the 'wrongness' and 'forbidden-ness' of falling in love with someone you're not supposed to, in this case, someone you're practically related to. 

Well, whatever the reason, we were obsessed. But the more I thought about these books, I wondered, how do these characters still end up together in the end? After all, their parents are still married, so their relationship is problematic even if the adults give them the green light...

Well, all that thinking led me to this dumpster fire idea. Welcome, everyone, to We're Not Related Anymore... I hope you don't judge me too much for this story.

Enjoy!