13 | I'M OFFENDED

"So then I called him Groomzilla, which Chili seemed to think was hilarious

"So then I called him Groomzilla, which Chili seemed to think was hilarious." Emerson went on about her day, telling her friend about the call she got earlier. The two were sitting on his couch, drinking beer and simply hanging out. Jay was bored and after a long day at work, he decided to ask her to come over.

She gladly did since she had nothing better to do anyway. After Jay's kidnapping, they hadn't seen each other much up until he decided to call her and ask for advice. Emerson immediately asked him what was happening and he finally explained the whole Erin situation. Emerson was surprised to hear that they split up as she knew Jay was one of the good things Erin had going on in her life. But she also knew how manipulative Bunny could be, so she wasn't too surprised to hear what she did.

Jay and Emerson got closer throughout the week, talking more than they used to and relying on each other for support and advice. She was glad to have this kind of friendship with someone in Chicago, it made her feel more at home.

Jay chuckled at her words, "Groomzilla, how original of you."

"I know, right?" She laughed, swallowing a sip of her beer before turning to face him. Emerson licked her lips before taking a deep breath in, "So, how's Erin doing? I haven't spoken to her much."

Truth was, she didn't want to be intrusive. She knew Erin was having a rough time from what Jay told her, but she figured that if her friend didn't tell her - she shouldn't meddle. Maybe reaching out to Erin would be the way to go. She decided to send her a message later.

"Doing better. Voight has her living in his spare room, doing regular drug tests. She's almost back to her old self, still adjusting but she's getting there." Jay told her, seeming quite neutral about the words coming out of his mouth.

"Good, do you think there's a reason why she hasn't told me?" She questioned, worried she might have done something wrong or assumed they were closer than they truly were.

Jay sensed her worry, so immediately he shook his head. "I don't think there is." He shrugged, "You know Erin, she keeps a lot to herself and doesn't really open up unless you get her to." She knew he was right and it felt good to her to hear it.

She thanked him sincerely, smiling at him. "So now that she's back..." Emerson trailed off, unsure what she was truly asking.

"She's back and it's good, so we'll see what that means for us in the long run." Jay admitted, once again his tone not letting out much. Emerson felt her heart drop in her chest but she refused to let herself visit and understand that feeling.

"Good." Emerson forced a smile, avoiding his glance to look at the television. "Game's back on." She pointed out, turning towards it instead of facing Jay.

His eyebrows furrowed, confused, looking at her with a slight smirk on his face. He brought his bottle to his lips, mumbling out before taking a gulp. "You a hockey fan?"