6 | BRACE YOURSELF

As Emerson celebrated Molly's II being approved with Cruz, Hermann, Gabby and Otis, Peter Mills walked in with eyebrows furrowed

As Emerson celebrated Molly's II being approved with Cruz, Hermann, Gabby and Otis, Peter Mills walked in with eyebrows furrowed. He looked confused, as if he didn't know how to feel about something.

"Hey, Mills. You okay?" Emerson asked, being the first one to notice him.

"Uh, yeah." His eyebrows were furrowed, as if he was distraught. "Lullo just came by to apologize."

Her eyes widened in surprise, shrugging her shoulders. "That's good, right?"

"I suppose." They didn't get to speak about it more before the first bell of the day rang. They rushed to the call, supposing they would finally get a move on with the whole Lullo thing.

After the call, the two paramedics walked into their Chief's office, supposing they should let him know about Lullo's appearance at the Firehouse early in the day. Emerson knocked on the door, waiting for Boden to turn around and gesture for them to come in before turning the knob. She pushed the door open, letting Mills walk in first.

"Chief, I wanted to tell you that Anthony Lullo was waiting for me outside this morning. He apologized for his actions the other day. He says he knows that we did all that we could."

"And you believe him?"

"I do. And looking back, I'm glad that I didn't file a police report on him. He's in deep grief, and he deserves a pass on this."

Boden turned to Emerson, waiting to see what she thought of it. Truth was, she was on the fence about it. She could tell people feared that man and even Jay said he was no joke. But at the same time, Mills had a point. She understood the length a father could go as he faced the loss of his only son. Maybe his reputation preceded him, but he shouldn't necessarily be punished for it.

So she nodded, letting her Chief know she agreed with her partner.

"Okay. Glad you trusted your gut." He dismissed them and they went back to their own occupations.

Emerson found herself in the kitchen with Cruz, who roped her in by telling her he wanted to try a new recipe for the holiday fest. "Okay, out of the way. Out of the way." Emerson called out, holding the very hot tray she'd just taken out of the oven and bringing it to the metal kitchen island.

"What's this?" Hermann asked, suddenly very interested when the smell overwhelmed his nostrils.

"Emerson and I have been trying something for the holiday fest." Cruz announced proudly, letting Emerson do the grand reveal.

"We call it Santa bites." Cruz seemed confused at her words because it was definitely something she decided on her own. She figured her recipe  - her name. "It's turkey, potatoes and cranberries all baked in a bun. Dig in."

Otis grabbed one first, biting into it under the unsure stares of Hermann and Mouch. They all impatiently waited for his reaction. Eventually he moaned, making hand gestures. "Mmm. Oh, hо! Okay, wow!" He exclaimed, making Hermann and Mouch immediately reach for one too.