2 | JAY'S SINGLE

Emerson's hand reached for the ambo's door handle, tugging it to open the door

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

Emerson's hand reached for the ambo's door handle, tugging it to open the door. She sat in the driver's seat and handed Gabby one of the drinks she just picked up. The latter gave her a plastic wrapper in exchange. They shared thank you's as Emerson unwrapped the plastic, discovering a pastry that smelled so good she could feel herself drool.

"Oh, my God that smells like heaven." She lowly spoke, admiring the almond croissant in her hand. From the corner of her eye, she noticed Gabby eyeing the drink she got her suspiciously. "I didn't poison it."

Gabby laughed, nodding her head. "I figured you didn't, I was just curious as to why you got a hot chocolate instead of a coffee." She questioned, looking at the sticker on her cup that had the order written on it.

"I don't drink coffee, actually." And it was true. She could never really stand the smell of coffee, it was too strong for her and she thought the smell was too bitter for her taste. She tried multiple time to like it but she came to the conclusion that it wouldn't happen. The only time she found herself liking caffeinated drink where when she ordered iced coffees with large amount of caramel pumps.

The PIC seemed surprised by this, "Really? Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a first responder not drink caffeine."

Emerson shrugged, "Yeah, well I don't like the taste. If you ever see me drink coffee - either I really need it or it's packed with sugar." She then bit into the pastry, humming in contentment. "It's delicious. Wow."

Dawson chuckled, "It is, isn't it? Matt brought me here on one of our first dates, it's been on my run ever since."

The confession warmed the new paramedic's heart. She figured she may have underestimated everyone at Firehouse 51. Before coming back to Chicago, she heard great things about the men and women of this house - and all about how they treated each other like family. From that, she assumed they wouldn't let her in as easily. Emerson was glad that Gabby seemed to open up to her, it would certainly make her integration much easier.

"He's got taste." Emerson pointed out, the two chuckling as they heard a call coming into the radio.

"Ambo 61, we got a call for you at 700 West Taylor Street, apartement 3."

"Copy that, what do we got?" Gabby asked dispatch through the radio, watching Emerson shifting the gear to drive.

"Male, 20 years old, GSW to the chest. CPD en route."

"Ambo 61 en route." She responded, holding onto the door as Emerson sped down the street. They only had a few blocs to cross to get to the call and luckily for them, there was already a few officers on scene. At least they'd be safe.

Emerson grabbed the jump bag while Gabby carried the stretcher chair, hurrying to the victim that was lying in the middle of the street. They immediately tended to his injuries, figuring out what the nature of the wound was exactly so Gabby could figure out how they should treat it. The PIC gave out orders as her new colleague worked alongside her, handing her everything she needed.