Epilogue

Palya couldn't believe that she was back where she'd started. Tungi and Ugut flanked her once again, like they had done during their first encounter. Both gods narrowed their eyes at her.

Tungi was the first to bring up the curious topic.

"How did you do it, Palya?" The earth-god scooted closer, disturbing the tufts of grass they were sitting on. Ugut replicated his movements.

"I want to know too," the water god insisted, although with lesser vehemence. "How did you manage to control your power during that flood?"

Palya gulped. It was hard to explain since she had been rather panicked during the incident. Still, she tried to recount what she remembered about those moments at the low valley village.

"Well, instead of aiming to protect only the things most important to me, I thought about what everyone held most dear to them. I realized that I had to focus on why I had to use my power more than on how." Palya, a little embarrassed by her flushed cheeks and happy thoughts, smiled and bowed her head. "Also, I had someone helping me."

Tungi sighed, realizing that they weren't going to receive any more details from her.

"True," he said, tearing a blade of grass from the ground and twiddling it in his fingers. A new leaf immediately sprouted in its place. "Iloyu's the only person who has actually aided their deity despite the taming bond."

Ugut hummed.

"Despite his crass language," the water-god added, "I do think he has his uses."

Palya appreciated her fellow deities' efforts to accept her new oracle and consort. Of course, acknowledging his authority became easier when they received news that he'd survived the taming bond. Now she and Iloyu walked without it, having fully gained everybody's trust.

"Iloyu's wonderful, isn't he?" she said.

Before her fellow gods could either agree or contradict her, the gate into her domain opened. Iloyu poked his head in. He grinned as soon as their eyes met across the expanse of the mystic garden's courtyard.

"Did I just hear my name?"

The void-goddess hopped up immediately, escaping her spot between Tungi and Ugut. She rushed towards Iloyu, who caught her in his arms and lifted her close enough to kiss. One of her slippers flew off and landed among the rosebushes behind her.

"You're back!" she exclaimed.

Iloyu did kiss her, but he soon placed her back on the ground after catching sight of their amused audience.

"Two days married, and you're already flirting with other men," he tutted playfully. The man took her hand and led her back to the others, much to Palya's delight.

"She's only repaying the favor," Tungi said as he got up and met the couple halfway. Ugut, as always, followed the earth-god's lead. "You stole my little pea flower, after all."

"That's because she's a great teacher," Iloyu explained, referring to his experience as the wood sprite's apprentice. Now that he was Palya's oracle and consort, he had been training every day to understand what exactly he had to do to fulfill his roles. "She's not tough on me, unlike Toho, but she also doesn't coddle me the way Likoda does."

Tungi's eyes widened, having not expected such high and sincere praise from the man. The earth-god's chest puffed as his pride swelled. Palya sighed, knowing just what the deity would do next.

"Very well," Tungi said as he summoned a portal and strutted like a flamboyant peacock towards it. "I shall relay your words to my darling Walha. She'll be thrilled, since she'll have something to brag about against Toho."

Palya shook her head. She was glad that Iloyu never did such silly things whenever someone said something good about her. Then again, Tungi's outward displays and near-obsessive fondness for his oracle were what Walha loved about him.

The water-god, on the other hand...

"I should leave too," Ugut said as he created his own portal. She noticed that it didn't seem to lead back to the crystal garden, where Toho was restocking the ponds with new fish.

Iloyu sensed this too.

"Going somewhere, Ugut?" the man asked.

Surprisingly, the water-god blushed. His throat bobbed as he clutched his bouquet of roses, which he'd quietly asked for a while earlier. Palya had kept her mouth shut back then, but she did have a guess as to who would receive those flowers.

"Nowhere important," Ugut said.

"Right." Iloyu grinned like a fool.

Palya noticed his reaction and decided that he had said enough. She dragged him further into the garden so that the water-god could leave in peace. It was one thing to joke with Sir Toho, and another to tease an already nervous Ugut.

"How was your day?" she asked once they were on the premises of their favorite hotspring. Steam began to curl around their feet the closer they came to its welcoming edge.

"Perfect, of course," Iloyu said as he disrobed, leaving only his pants on. He waded into the water and waited for Palya to join him. "I learned how to use the crystal to cast new spells and gather offerings. Soon, I'll be making transportation portals like the others."

Of course, Palya couldn't resist his invitation. She stripped down until only her shift clung to her body. They had to appear at least a little decent in case anybody came looking for them with a new request.

"That's wonderful news." Palya lowered herself onto Iloyu's lap after carefully navigating the warm pool of water.

"What about you, love?" Iloyu asked as he embraced her from behind.

"The preparations for our first banquet are almost complete. We can host it two days hence, if you wish." Sitting and bathing with him like this felt like paradise to Palya. The hours she'd spent planning the first social event she would host in Natngilaka seemed to fade away.

"Push it further off," he implored.

Palya's brow furrowed. She thought that Iloyu would enjoy another chance to spar with Toho or conspire with Walha to pair Ugut with Likoda. She tilted her head back and caught his eye.

"Why?" She knew that she was ready to fulfill this part of her duty. Magulana and Likoda had spent some time teaching her about this tradition, so she was determined to do well.

She no longer feared the others like she used to. They were her new family. They had given her a new home and helped her heal from the isolation she'd experienced in the human realm.

"Because I want just a little more time alone with you." Iloyu held her tighter. "I want to have you all to myself for a while longer."

"All right," Palya said after some careful thought. She fixed part of his damp hair that had begun to cling to his jaw. "But what compensation will I get for this favor?"

To answer that question, Iloyu lowered his head and hummed mischievously. His eyes sparkled with mirth as he captured her mouth with a rather enthusiastic kiss. Palya believed that she would enjoy this compensation very much.

END